What Did You Watch? 2024-10-16 (Wednesday)
Add Reply
Ubiquitous
2024-10-17 08:30:40 UTC
I watched:

BEN SHAPIRO: THIS IS A DESPERATION MOVE BY THE KAMALA HARRIS CAMPAIGN:
Daily Wire co-founder Ben Shapiro reacts to former President Obama's
criticism of former President Trump as the election nears and the
fallout at CBS News after the heated interview with author Ta-Nehisi
Coates. #FoxNews

SPECIAL REPORT WITH BRET BAIER:
Special interview with Kamala Harris. Now we know why she spent the first
couple months of her campign hiding in the basement!

POP CULTURE BREAKDOWN | DOCTOR WHO NOT RENEWED? | LARA CROFT | TRANS CLONE TROOPER | REANIMATOR!
Pop Culture Breakdown returns as we discuss the pop culture highs and lows
of the week! BBC throws Doctor Who under the TARDIS when he claims a third
series has been renewed, and the BBC says "Nuh uh"! Fans are annoyed that
they've made Lara Croft less feminine and more like a dude! Obscene prices
for cake in Disneyland has fans going WTF! Universal ready for Disney
takedown next summer! And our movie of the week is the classic Reanimator!
https://www.youtube.com/live/BYIiut20Gjc?si=X-CJVE_3YJ82ZX9S

What did you watch?

Let's go Brandon!
Ian J. Ball
2024-10-17 13:57:56 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
What did you watch?
soaps: DOOL - Tue's ep. Xander confronts his mom Fiona, who admits to
everything - so Xander intends to haul her down to the cop shop to
confess. Meanwhile, thanks to Eric's prodding, Brady also remembers
(convenient!!) he wasn't driving the car that hit Sarah, Fiona was.
Meanwhile, stupid Johnny is convinced Chanel slept with Alex, and then
threw her back out. (Another contrived soap situation - if Chanel had
just said the words "I never even made it to the set", it would have
cleared all of this up.) Stephanie commiserates with Jada about sleeping
with Alex; later, Stephanie and Alex once again agree to be "just
friends" (idiots!).
Y&R - Tue's ep(?). My gawd, Filis[sic] is an idiot!! She instructs
Daniel to let Chance search Daniel's place (Rule #1: Whether guilty or
innocent, you NEVER agree to make the cops' jobs easier!!), and of
course Daniel finds the phone and the bloody towels that Crazy Sharon
planted! Sharon tries to romance Nick with a picnic. Faith runs into
Lucy, and Lucy cries on her shoulder about her dead mom Heather. Jill
Zoom calls Billy and is a bitch to him.

Trick 'r Treat (Max) - This has been on "my list" for years now (though
not very high on my list!), so I finally got around to watching it last
night.
This 2007 flick is chock full of good "Canadian content" - among the
cast are Lauren Lee Smith(! who is pretty close to a headliner here),
Jean-Luc Bilodeau, Tahmoh Penikett, Moneca Delain, Matthew Kevin
Anderson (Jewel Staite's ex!!), and Britt McKillip(!), and Laura Mennell
in a cameo role. (Richard Harmon was supposedly in this in a bit part,
but I never noticed him.)
Among the American cast is Anna Paquin (Lauren Lee Smith plays her
sister!), Brian Cox(!!), Rochelle Aytes, Dylan Baker, and Leslie Bibb
(who, weirdly, was not credited in the film's opening credits, whereas
Tahmoh Penikett was!?!).
Anyway, this was a pretty scattershot "Halloween horror" film. It's
not formally an "anthology" film, but operates similarly to one as it
tells four (five if you include the film's opening sequence) different
"scary" Halloween tales - Bibb & Penikett, Baker, Paquin & Smith,
McKillip & Bilodeau, and Cox anchor the five different stories - though,
unlike an anthology flick, in this film the stories are more interlaced.
This was OK - some stories are better than others. I will admit I
did not see where Paquin's & Smith's story was going until it got there.
And I liked Cox's story though you have to wait until the very end for
its justification. But Baker's (and Bibb's) stories were undercooked,
and the "kids story" with McKillip & Bilodeau only sort of worked and
was more underwhelming than successful.
If you like these sort of flicks, this probably gets a recommend.
But if the words "Halloween horror" causes you rolls your eyes, this is
definitely skippable.
P.S. Despite the film's opening credits, it does not appear that
this film was actually based on a real comic or graphic novel.

What did you watch?
Arthur Lipscomb
2024-10-17 16:25:42 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Does Brian Cox know he's American? ;-)

Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Yeah, the movie is only so-so, but I find myself watching it anyway
every other Halloween. They are coming out with a new 4K edition. I'm
on the fence but I'll probably break down and get it.
Post by Ian J. Ball
What did you watch?
I watched:

Survivor - "The Scales Be Tippin" - This is a show that I usually don't
bother to mention, but this season...after 47 seasons I don't think I've
ever seen that on a tribal council. The look of total shock combined
with I'd kill you where you stand if I could, before going away in
tears. Never saw that before.

Agatha All Along (Disney+) - "Familiar by Thy Side" - The full backstory
on "Teen" who turns out to be who we've all be assuming he really is.
But there is an explanation for the timelines and twisted backstory.
suzeeq
I gave it up at E3. Too many other shows I really like.
anim8rfsk
2024-10-17 16:56:39 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Ubiquitous
What did you watch?
What did you watch?
Hey, thanks for asking!

My background noise quota was filled with old episodes of the original FBI
series that kept changing aspect ratios on the Tubi.

But the Plex came up with:

ALIEN Romulus.

Wow. An $80 million fan film; where do you sign up for funding like that?

then you populat both sides of the camera with people that don’t speak
English or at best speak it as a second language with the exception of the
two cute girls. Also make sure that you can’t tell the actors apart.
Including the two cute girls.

Is it the worst alien movie ever made? No, not until somebody figures out
how to go back in time and unmake alien cubed.

After watching it, I looked at a couple making ofs and a cinema sins and a
pitch meeting video and found out that none of those people understood what
the hell was going on either.

So it’s 20 years after the first movie and 60 years before the second and
somehow they found the remains of the Nostromo despite it having been
utterly destroyed and so they knew all the stuff that they didn’t know in
the second movie already.

And that’s before the dumb begins in Earnest. Or even Vern.

So everything you thought you knew was wrong. And certainly everything you
found out from this train wreck was wrong.

It was fun to see Ash again though.
anim8rfsk
2024-10-17 15:48:00 UTC
I watched the first couple of episode of SUPERMAN AND LOIS. I asked a
IRC friend of mine about the show and he said it was probably the best
Superman show he had seen so I decided to give it a try.
First thing I noted is they started out with the familiar story but
then changed things up a bit. Obviously the family story line is
different, but then they also changed up Luther. Now he is from
another time line/universe where Superman went on a killing spree for
some untold reason. Luther wants to kill the Superman in this world
because he is convinced he will destroy this world as he did the world
he came from.
Of course he never tells Superman this but just keeps trying to kill
him. They also introduce a new bad guy who owns the Daily Planet but
is also up to bad things in small towns. While they introduce Martha
and Jonathan Kent, they don't keep them around for long. We end up
with a mix of super hero hi jinx and family drama as the family moves
back to Smallville.
All in all, I've enjoyed it.
It took me a while to figure out you must be talking about the first two
episodes of the series, not the first two episodes of the final season that
just aired.

They've completely changed the set up for this show two or three times so
don't assume you know anything.
shawn
2024-10-17 18:25:54 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Yes, the first season. I saw you talking about it and then my friend
Nick talked about it so I decided to give it a try. So do they change
the setup between seasons?
Arthur Lipscomb
2024-10-17 22:10:27 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Same.
Post by anim8rfsk
They've completely changed the set up for this show two or three times so
don't assume you know anything.
My father completely out of the blue the other day texted me a clip from
Superman and Lois. He was asking me if I was familiar with it. I had
to explain it was a clip from a currently broadcasting TV show. He
wanted more details so he could check it out. Maybe they are heavily
advertising the show and picking up new viewers?
shawn
2024-10-17 13:09:00 UTC
[...]

I also watched SURVIVOR where there was the ultimate kind of blind
side where she clearly had no clue she was even considered a target.
So she was convinced she was safe and didn't expect any votes. The
look on her face as the votes were revealed told the story. Also we
got to see Andy being bad at challenges again but apparently having a
great social game. Makes me wonder how he will do if he makes it to
the merge.

What did you watch?
Arthur Lipscomb
2024-10-18 00:51:11 UTC
[...]