CBS News President wants "trustworthy broadcast without point of view"...
Ubiquitous
2019-07-15 17:43:31 UTC
"There are very few people who are able to deliver a trustworthy broadcast
without point of view," says CBS News president Susan Zirinsky. "That's who
we want to be."

On July 15 at 6:30 p.m., Norah O'Donnell becomes the next anchor of the
brand-defining CBS Evening News. It's still a heady perch - one once occupied
by Walter Cronkite during seminal moments in history (the assassination of
John F. Kennedy, Vietnam). But it's also one with many challenges in the
always-on Trump-tweet fueled news cycle.

CBS News president Susan Zirinsky entered the top job at the news division
with an unshakable belief that O'Donnell, an aggressive and insightful
broadcaster who has an instinct for news-making interviews, was the right
person for the job. And so it is the second big anchor shake-up at the
division, with Gayle King now the linchpin of CBS This Morning alongside co-
anchors Anthony Mason and Tony Dokoupil.

O'Donnell has recounted a congratulatory phone call from Oprah Winfrey who
told her the Evening News is O'Donnell's "supreme destiny."

"There are so few women who get to speak about the world to the world,"
Winfrey told her, according to O'Donnell. "And you are now one of those
people."

With the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar landing on July 20, the
timing of the premiere installment of the CBS Evening News With Norah
O'Donnell offers an opportunity to remind viewers of the division's legacy.
This week's broadcast will included O'Donnell's sit-down with Caroline
Kennedy and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, whose company Blue Origin is working
to send humans to the moon. And on Tuesday, O'Donnell will anchor the program
live from the Kennedy Space Center, the same location where Cronkite
broadcast 50 years ago. On that day, the show will also include O'Donnell's
interview with three female pioneers of Apollo 11; engineers Joann JoAnn
Morgan and Poppy Northcutt and MIT scientist Margaret Hamilton, who helped
program the Apollo 11 lunar module for landing anticipating some of the
problems that would occur and did occur just before landing. At 10 p.m,
O'Donnell will also anchor a one-hour primetime special Man on the Moon,
which weaves together Cronkite's coverage of the moon landing along with Neil
Armstrong's narrative in an experiential film.

Despite its storied history, the CBS Evening News has been mired in the third
place in the nightly news race for more than 20 years. This season, the show
is averaging 6 million viewers each night while ABC's World News Tonight With
David Muir is the most-watched newscast with 8.7 million, followed by NBC's
Nightly News With Lester Holt at 8.1 million. Clearly improving the show's
ratings is a goal, says Zirinsky, a four-decade veteran of CBS News. "But the
most important part to me is the strength of the journalism."

O'Donnell's broadcast will have new music and graphics, while relying heavily
on the network's corps of correspondent. O'Donnell also will take the
Profiles in Service franchise - which highlights the work of armed services
members - that she originated on CBS This Morning to the Evening News. (Her
father was a military doctor and her sister Mary also serves as a military
physician.)

O'Donnell's CBS Evening News will originate from the CBS News broadcast
center in New York until late fall when it moves to its permanent home,
Washington, D.C. O'Donnell, 45, will live in D.C. with her husband, chef
Geoff Tracy, and their three children, 12-year-old twins and an 11-year-old.
Kim Godwin, executive vp CBS News and Zirinksy's number two, will serve as
the show's executive producer until the show moves to Washington. O'Donnell,
who is also managing editor of the broadcast, will have a say in choosing her
executive producer, says Zirinsky.

O'Donnell's ascendency to the job may be significant on a gender level; she
is only the third woman to have one of the nightly news broadcasts to herself
after Katie Couric's tenure at CBS and Diane Sawyer's at ABC. But perhaps
more important for CBS News, O'Donnell may offer the stability the broadcast
has lacked in recent years. Scott Pelley, who seemed well-suited for the role
at the outset, was ousted in May 2017 after the previous management regime
soured on him. There was no anchor transition in place; Mason spent months
filling in until Jeff Glor bowed in December 2017, with scant promotional and
marketing efforts. Glor endured persistent rumors about his hold on the job
and left last May, days after Zirinsky announced the sweeping anchors changes
to the morning and evening newscasts.

O'Donnell has said she plans to stay in the job until she retires.

Despite the decline in influence and viewership, the three evening newscasts
are still watched by 23 million viewers every night. Though many of those
viewers are older, and it's unlikely younger viewers will eventually
establish the habit of tuning in to a half-hour of curated news at 6:30 in
the evening. News divisions have responded to the tectonic shifts in viewer
habits with on-demand and digital services; the CBS Evening News streams on
CBSN every night at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT.

"We're in the first tank as the army moves into the future," says Zirinsky.
"We really believe the Evening News is a very important broadcast, and not
only from a legacy perspective."

And the cacophonous, 24-7 news cycle - much of dominated by opinion
journalism - actually gives the CBS Evening News a mission statement, asserts
Zirinsky.

"I don't feel obligated to touch every story. Norah's focus and Kim's focus
is going to be: what can we add in value to a story you may already know
about? If a story has impact and it's been up since 7 or 8 a.m., how do we
tell you something you don't know? That's the critical thought. Our goal is
strong journalism, impactful journalism, breaking news, investigations that
spur Congress to hold hearings.

"We see what we do as a calling," adds Zirinsky. "In this day and age there
are very few people who are able to deliver a trustworthy broadcast without
point of view. That's who we want to be."

--
Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.
anim8rfsk
2019-07-15 18:14:20 UTC
CBS News President wants "trustworthy broadcast without point of view"...
July 15, 2019 at 10:43:31 AM MST
"There are very few people who are able to deliver a trustworthy broadcast
without point of view," says CBS News president Susan Zirinsky. "That's who
we want to be."
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAA
--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/
Ubiquitous
2019-07-17 01:05:01 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Ubiquitous
"There are very few people who are able to deliver a trustworthy broadcast
without point of view," says CBS News president Susan Zirinsky. "That's
who we want to be."
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAA
I couldn't help but notice they failed miserably last night in their coverage
of President Trump's "racist" tweet.

Rhino
2019-07-15 23:15:33 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Oh my goodness! They're actually mentioning the three men, er, persons
in the spaceship and NOT just the women on the ground who contributed to
the programming. I am impressed - and surprised - that Neil, Buzz and
Mike will actually get mentioned....

Mind you, I expect there to be something to the effect that "in those
medieval times, the patriarchy was not willing to let wymym have their
rightful place in space" to placate the feminists....
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Lovely words but we'll see what happens when the rubber hits the road.
Too many of us still remember when CBS still saw "truthiness" as the
standard they were striving for and let Dan Rather slander George W. Bush.

It's going to be interesting to see if any of these news programs,
websites, or whatever can actually move themselves into a position where
they are NOT seen as partisans pushing the progressive Narrative.
Rhino
RichA
2019-07-15 23:27:15 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
The only woman who contributed actual MATH to the Apollo program (as opposed to arithmetic and adding up tables of figures) was WHITE FEMALE PHYSICIST.