Tonight's TV
Add Reply
Robin Miller
2024-10-15 22:10:42 UTC
RM: Still not caught up. Rest of week should follow tonight.

Tuesday, Oct. 15

Streaming:

Return to Las Sabinas [new] (12:01 am, Hulu)

After years of being apart, the Molina sisters reunite in their hometown
of Manterana to look after their father. However, Gracia and Paloma’s
unexpected return will have them facing past loves and confronting
family secrets. 70 episodes; the first seven stream tonight, followed
(apparently) by single episodes released on Tuesday through Friday.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/return-to-las-sabinas/listings/

American Horror Stories (conclusion of season 3) (12:01
am, Hulu)

Five new episodes stream today. Stars in individual episodes include
Henry Winkler, June Squibb, Michael Imperioli, Debby Ryan, Jessica
Barden, Victor Garber, and more.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12306692/ [rating 6.3]

Beyond Black Beauty [new; complete season 1] (12:01 am,
Amazon Freevee/Prime Video)

Beyond Black Beauty follows young equestrian Jolie Dumont, whose Olympic
dreams are dashed when her mother moves them from Belgium to her
family's urban ranch in Baltimore. An angry Jolie wants to escape until
she bonds with a spirited horse named Black Beauty. Jolie will learn to
embrace her heritage while continuing toward her Olympic-hopeful future
and discover the value of family and home. 11 episodes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4769664/

Rachel Bloom: Death, Let Me Do My Special (comedy special)
(3:01 am, Netflix)

1h 17m.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81746515

Comedy Revenge [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

Hosted by legendary comedian Lee Kyeong-kyu, 18 comedy powerhouses
compete in an all-out battle of hilarity once again ­ let the giggles
begin! Korean series; six episodes.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81782308

Anatomy of Lies [new; complete limited series] (3:01
am, Peacock)

Grey's Anatomy writer Elisabeth Finch wows Hollywood with her
extraordinary life story, but one woman's quest to discover the truth
reveals a jaw-dropping web of lies. Three episodes.

FBI True (complete season 5) (3:01 am, Paramount+)

10 episodes.

Broadcast and cable:

F.B.I. (season 7 premiere) (8 pm, CBS)

F.B.I.: International (season 4 premiere) (9 pm, CBS)

I Am Not a Monster: The Lois Riess Murders [new] (9 pm, HBO)

Likable grandmother Lois Riess shocked her small Minnesota town when she
killed her husband, David, and went on the run from the authorities. Six
years later, Lois sits down to tell her story for the first time,
attempting to explain her actions and revealing a disturbing family
history and a gambling addiction. I’m Not a Monster: The Lois Riess
Murders examines the unorthodox killer and her well-planned crime spree
­ from embezzling funds to the murder of a stranger to identity theft ­
while chronicling the enduring effects of familial dysfunction and
mental health strains on her psyche. Two episodes, concluding tomorrow
at the same time.

F.B.I.: Most Wanted (season 6 premiere) (10 pm, CBS)
Ian J. Ball
2024-10-15 23:06:19 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
RM: Still not caught up. Rest of week should follow tonight.
        Tuesday, Oct. 15
American Horror Stories        (conclusion of season 3)           (12:01
am, Hulu)
Five new episodes stream today. Stars in individual episodes include
Henry Winkler, June Squibb, Michael Imperioli, Debby Ryan, Jessica
Barden, Victor Garber, and more.
http://youtu.be/e0LHF-QNGnI
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12306692/      [rating 6.3]
This is a show that I probably should just watch a selection of episodes
based on guest star(s)...
No! (Esp. because the last two seem incapable of holding down a cast!)
shawn
2024-10-16 00:58:30 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
F.B.I.       (season 7 premiere)           (8 pm, CBS)
F.B.I.: International       (season 4 premiere)           (9 pm, CBS)
F.B.I.: Most Wanted        (season 6 premiere)         (10 pm, CBS)
No! (Esp. because the last two seem incapable of holding down a cast!)
Have to wonder what is going on there. It's not a case of the actors
not being right for the role/show so it's something else going on.
anim8rfsk
2024-10-16 07:44:52 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by Robin Miller
F.B.I.       (season 7 premiere)           (8 pm, CBS)
F.B.I.: International       (season 4 premiere)           (9 pm, CBS)
F.B.I.: Most Wanted        (season 6 premiere)         (10 pm, CBS)
No! (Esp. because the last two seem incapable of holding down a cast!)
Have to wonder what is going on there. It's not a case of the actors
not being right for the role/show so it's something else going on.
I blame Deborah Joy Levine.
BTR1701
2024-10-16 09:39:36 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by Robin Miller
F.B.I.       (season 7 premiere)           (8 pm, CBS)
F.B.I.: International       (season 4 premiere)           (9 pm, CBS)
F.B.I.: Most Wanted        (season 6 premiere)         (10 pm, CBS)
No! (Esp. because the last two seem incapable of holding down a cast!)
Have to wonder what is going on there. It's not a case of the actors
not being right for the role/show so it's something else going on.
I blame Deborah Joy Levine.
I settled down with the P+ to watch the FBIs tonight and made it through
the mothership and INTERNATIONAL just fine but when I got to MOST WANTED,
all I got was the logo screen and nothing else. No new episode, not even
the past seasons. Then I noticed it said at the bottom "Watch FBI: MOST
WANTED on Paramount+ with Showtime"

So apparently I can no longer watch a show that I've watched on P+ for the
past three years without paying more for a Showtime add-on. And this is
right after P+ raised its based subscription yet again.

Good thing the TiVo's season pass grabbed it off CBS and I was able to
watch it anyway, just at a lower picture resolution.
shawn
2024-10-16 10:57:47 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
That's strange. Especially since the show is on CBS.
Post by BTR1701
Good thing the TiVo's season pass grabbed it off CBS and I was able to
watch it anyway, just at a lower picture resolution.
What is the resolution that you get there? Is it due to the Tivo?

I've been considering a move back down to where my family is and one
thing I noticed is a difference in the broadcasters. In Atlanta
everyone tends to be putting out a 1080p signal. Down there some are
putting out a 720p picture instead of a 1080p one like with the NBC
station. Though I notice that ABC/FOX are still only using 720p. That
said every CBS station I have looked at is using 1080p so I'm left
wondering why you would get a lower resolution using the broadcast
signal over the streaming.
Ian J. Ball
2024-10-16 13:26:55 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by BTR1701
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by BTR1701
Good thing the TiVo's season pass grabbed it off CBS and I was able to
watch it anyway, just at a lower picture resolution.
What is the resolution that you get there? Is it due to the Tivo?
I've been considering a move back down to where my family is and one
thing I noticed is a difference in the broadcasters. In Atlanta
everyone tends to be putting out a 1080p signal. Down there some are
putting out a 720p picture instead of a 1080p one like with the NBC
station. Though I notice that ABC/FOX are still only using 720p. That
said every CBS station I have looked at is using 1080p so I'm left
wondering why you would get a lower resolution using the broadcast
signal over the streaming.
Presumably because he grabbed it off cable - cable TV does not broadcast
higher than 1080i through the cable wires. (It maybe 1080p "over the
internet" through their apps - I've never been able to confirm this with
my Spectrum app, though I suspect it.)

And it's only 1080p over-the-air if it's ATSC 3.0. ATSC 1.0 is still
like cable - maxing out at 1080i.
Adam H. Kerman
2024-10-16 16:17:01 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
. . .
And it's only 1080p over-the-air if it's ATSC 3.0. ATSC 1.0 is still
like cable - maxing out at 1080i.
That's an economic issue, not a technological issue. It requires
devoting additional bandwidth, which means fewer subchannels. And I
think the CODECs have improved so it's more efficient to send a given
image using limited bandwidth. As far as I know the newer CODECs can be
used with ATSC 1.0 but I'm sure someone will correct me.
Ian J. Ball
2024-10-16 16:32:05 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ian J. Ball
. . .
And it's only 1080p over-the-air if it's ATSC 3.0. ATSC 1.0 is still
like cable - maxing out at 1080i.
That's an economic issue, not a technological issue.
That is true. I have heard that someone did an experiment and they were
able to broadcast 4k over ATSC 1.0. So it can be done.

But the truth is it *won't* be done via ATSC 1.0, unless ATSC 3.0
utterly collapses (which is possible, but not probable).
Adam H. Kerman
2024-10-16 16:42:15 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ian J. Ball
. . .
And it's only 1080p over-the-air if it's ATSC 3.0. ATSC 1.0 is still
like cable - maxing out at 1080i.
That's an economic issue, not a technological issue.
That is true. I have heard that someone did an experiment and they were
able to broadcast 4k over ATSC 1.0. So it can be done.
But the truth is it *won't* be done via ATSC 1.0, unless ATSC 3.0
utterly collapses (which is possible, but not probable).
Let's hope ATSC 3.0 utterly collapses. It's a very different technology
including microtargetting of information and ads, which improvements
in bandwidth usage efficiency would allow. The ads would no longer be
broadcast but could differ on a household by household basis depending on
demographics. We look forward to the day that the tv can report exactly
who in the household is watching for further microtargeting,

What if it affects programming? The tv could report the viewer's
wokeness quotient, substituting a transgender character for one of the
supporting characters, changing dialog, changing endings.

The future looks bleak.
BTR1701
2024-10-16 18:30:11 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ian J. Ball
. . .
[...]
I've also noticed that the "skip" function on the TiVo that allows you to skip
over an entire commercial break with the push of a button and used to be
included on all programming started to dwindle away about a year ago. First it
started disappearing from shows on upper-tier cable channels like AMC and TNT,
then it started disappearing off the broadcast channels also. And now it's
gone altogether.
Adam H. Kerman
2024-10-16 19:15:57 UTC
Post by BTR1701
. . .
I've also noticed that the "skip" function on the TiVo that allows you
to skip over an entire commercial break with the push of a button and
used to be included on all programming started to dwindle away about a
year ago. First it started disappearing from shows on upper-tier cable
channels like AMC and TNT, then it started disappearing off the broadcast
channels also. And now it's gone altogether.
The function used to look for two blank frames inserted just before the
program resumed. The program service doesn't actually have to instert
them; it was a courtesy pause for the viewer.

I don't know what it does now. On the X1 box, on some channels, smart
skip is enabled which resumes about 20 seconds before the break ends
forcing me to watch some commercials. It's annoying because if I need to
wind it ahead of this bookmark, it takes multiple attempts as it wants
to make me watch from that point.
shawn
2024-10-16 16:47:21 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ian J. Ball
. . .
And it's only 1080p over-the-air if it's ATSC 3.0. ATSC 1.0 is still
like cable - maxing out at 1080i.
That's an economic issue, not a technological issue.
That is true. I have heard that someone did an experiment and they were
able to broadcast 4k over ATSC 1.0. So it can be done.
But the truth is it *won't* be done via ATSC 1.0, unless ATSC 3.0
utterly collapses (which is possible, but not probable).
I thought the same, but now I'm not sure. It all comes down to how the
stations handle DRM. Forcing DRM on all of their channels, as most are
doing now, is going to cause headaches for people that is entirely
unnecessary. It also means they MAY be thinking of asking for $$ for
their content. Which will creates so issues with the FCC but who knows
what future administrations might allow.

Then there's also the issue of IP rights. Another company came forward
and claimed that ATSC 3.0 is using some of their IP and wanted $$$ for
anyone using. So LG (not a small company) has dropped ATSC 3.0 support
in their TVs going forward. Not that they had a lot of TVs that
supported it but they did have some. As usual one of the biggest
issues with getting support for any of this new video tech is all of
the IP rights holders wanting their share of the pie.
shawn
2024-10-16 16:42:58 UTC
On Wed, 16 Oct 2024 16:17:01 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ian J. Ball
. . .
And it's only 1080p over-the-air if it's ATSC 3.0. ATSC 1.0 is still
like cable - maxing out at 1080i.
That's an economic issue, not a technological issue. It requires
devoting additional bandwidth, which means fewer subchannels. And I
think the CODECs have improved so it's more efficient to send a given
image using limited bandwidth. As far as I know the newer CODECs can be
used with ATSC 1.0 but I'm sure someone will correct me.
It is doable. There's a low power station out in Oregon that has tens
of channels using 1080p and even 4K video on ATSC 1.0. So it can be
done if someone is willing to put in the work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/1bf9hbp/oregon_tv_station_lauches_multiple_4k_broadcasts/

It looks like the original Antenna Man video isn't there any more, but
one point he made is that many TVs will handle MPEG4 even if it isn't
in the specs. Ah, found the video:

BTR1701
2024-10-16 18:26:02 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by BTR1701
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by BTR1701
Good thing the TiVo's season pass grabbed it off CBS and I was able to
watch it anyway, just at a lower picture resolution.
What is the resolution that you get there? Is it due to the Tivo?
I don't know the numbers but the picture is noticeably less sharp on cable TV
than it is on streaming. I assume it's Spectrum's signal that's less robust.
Adam H. Kerman
2024-10-16 19:29:17 UTC
Post by BTR1701
. . .
I don't know the numbers but the picture is noticeably less sharp on
cable TV than it is on streaming. I assume it's Spectrum's signal that's
less robust.
Cable is notorious for compressing bandwidth. You'd need your own
big-dish satellite to receive full bandwidth.

On Comcast and likely Spectrum, it's related to using ancient compression
protocols. MPEG-2 is a less efficient lossy compression method. Well,
CableLabs didn't participate in the development of MPEG-4 even though
they would have benefitted from it greatly, and no cable distributor pays
the licensing fee to use MPEG-4, so cable subscribers have been suffering
for two and a half decades.

anim8rfsk
2024-10-16 15:26:05 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
Yeah, that’s the first thing I get when I fire up my new free month of
Paramount+, a big thing trying to get me to pay for the Showtime version
anim8rfsk
2024-10-16 07:44:50 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Robin Miller
RM: Still not caught up. Rest of week should follow tonight.
        Tuesday, Oct. 15
American Horror Stories        (conclusion of season 3)           (12:01
am, Hulu)
Five new episodes stream today. Stars in individual episodes include
Henry Winkler, June Squibb, Michael Imperioli, Debby Ryan, Jessica
Barden, Victor Garber, and more.
http://youtu.be/e0LHF-QNGnI
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12306692/      [rating 6.3]
This is a show that I probably should just watch a selection of episodes
based on guest star(s)...
I thought you watched them all for Emma Roberts
kazu
hi anime, do you like anime? what are you currently watching?
kazu
2024-10-16 18:07:04 UTC
is anyone watching the penguin?
Ian J. Ball
2024-10-16 18:19:11 UTC
Post by kazu
is anyone watching the penguin?
It's on my list. But I am not likely to get to it soon. Could be Nov. or
Dec. before I get to it...
kazu
2024-10-16 18:23:12 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by kazu
is anyone watching the penguin?
It's on my list. But I am not likely to get to it soon. Could be
Nov. or Dec. before I get to it...
yes by then all the season episodes should be out.