Minneapolis Safest City
b***@gmail.com
2020-06-07 19:21:28 UTC
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities  Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis tops our list of America's safest cities"

-- https://www.forbes.com/2009/10/26/safest-cities-ten-lifestyle-real-estate-metros-msa.html#6a986483294b
suzeeq
2020-06-07 20:15:03 UTC
That was more than 10 years ago. And normally it would be, but....
Barry Margolin
2020-06-07 22:31:34 UTC
--
https://www.forbes.com/2009/10/26/safest-cities-ten-lifestyle-real-estate-me
tros-msa.html#6a986483294b
That was more than 10 years ago. And normally it would be, but....
Minneapolis was recently listed as one of the top 10 best cities to live
in.

But these surveys generally only reflect what it's like for affluent
white people.
--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA
Alan Smithee
2020-06-08 00:28:32 UTC
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities  Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
BTR1701
2020-06-08 01:35:09 UTC
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.

Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders?
Take traffic accident reports? Break-ins? Will citizens just be on their
own now? What does this look like? What replaces the police, if
anything? And if it's just a different group doing the same thing as the
police, aren't they just the police again? Why bother doing all this?

I don't know how much Minneapolis depends on tourism, but one of the
news stations just threw up a poll asking "Are you likely to visit
Minneapolis if it disbands its police department?"

91% - No

8% - Yes

1% - Unsure

Can't see any major conventions or seminars or anything like that
choosing Minneapolis in the future, either.
moviePig
2020-06-08 02:46:13 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
But then there's "Are you likely to visit Minneapolis if it DOESN'T
disband its police department?"
Alan Smithee
I think they're gonna make it after all!
The Horny Goat
2020-06-13 06:04:34 UTC
Post by BTR1701
choosing Minneapolis in the future, either.
But then there's "Are you likely to visit Minneapolis if it DOESN'T
disband its police department?"
I think they're gonna make it after all!
G ood MTM riff - wish I had confidence in the sort of policies you
seem to be advocating.
David Johnston
2020-06-08 03:10:31 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders?
Take traffic accident reports? B\
That's not a genuine question. You know damn well that Minneapolis
isn't going to disband their police department.
BTR1701
2020-06-08 06:30:48 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
Just going by the news, Johnston.

https://theappeal.org/minneapolis-city-council-members-announce-intent-to
-disband-the-police-department-invest-in-proven-community-led-public-safe
ty/

And yes, based on what the governing body of the city is saying, my
question damn well was genuine.

Also, what are they going to do with all the cops? Fire them? They can't
do that under the existing contract and civil service laws. The city
will be facing hundreds of millions in legal liability and lawsuits if
they do that.

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said last night that he opposed
disbanding the police department at a protest organized and
led by Black Visions Collective against police violence in
the city. That answer earned him a thundering chorus of boos
and chants of "Shame!" and "Go home, Jacob, go home!" The
New York Times called the scene a "humiliation on a scale
almost unimaginable outside of cinema or nightmare."

One of the most left-leaning 'progressive' mayors in America is booed
off the stage because he's not hard-left enough.

Buy guns and ammunition, folks. You're not paying attention if you don't.
FPP
2020-06-08 06:51:50 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by David Johnston
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
No... people are justifiably pissed at the cops. And they say, and do
stupid things when they're mad. That's it. Cooler heads will prevail.
Post by BTR1701
Buy guns and ammunition, folks. You're not paying attention if you don't.
Yeah, THAT will be GRATE for cops. Now they've got to worry about the
black guy they pull over doing what THEY usually do... over react and
kill somebody.

Only this time, it's a cop. Grate idea from they guy who want to run
over people he doesn't agree with. (Just. Like. ISIS. Does.)
--
"Leaders who have hidden in a bunker and gassed their own citizens
include Saddam Hussein, Adolf Hitler and Donald [Bunker Bitch] Trump." -

This is Fascism, in America. In 2020 - courtesy of Donald 'the Bunker
Bitch' Trump.

Trump to police: "When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of
a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in, rough, I said, please don't
be too nice."

"When you guys put somebody in the car and you're protecting their head,
you know, the way you put their hand over, like, don't hit their head
and they've just killed somebody. Don't hit their head. I said, you can
take the hand away, okay?"

Trump: "No, I don't take responsibility at all." - 3/13/20
moviePig
2020-06-08 13:49:19 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Buy guns and ammunition, folks. You're not paying attention if you
don't.
Yeah, THAT will be GRATE for cops.  Now they've got to worry about the
black guy they pull over doing what THEY usually do... over react and
kill somebody.
Only this time, it's a cop.  Grate idea from they guy who want to run
over people he doesn't agree with.  (Just. Like. ISIS. Does.)
I just read in the NYTimes that officials in NYC and LA are threatening
to reduce their policing budgets in response to widespread officer
malfeasance. Such a carrot/stick-approach reminds of Dubya's campaign
promise to cut the overall budget of a generally misbehaving Congress,
as if only the "good" behaviors would be the ones to survive...
Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-08 15:42:56 UTC
Post by moviePig
. . .
I just read in the NYTimes that officials in NYC and LA are threatening
to reduce their policing budgets in response to widespread officer
malfeasance.
That's a lot of self delusion. I hate to tell them, but if a jury does
make a finding of malfeasance in a P.I. lawsuit, they're going to have
to write that large check regardless of having budgeted for it.

For real reform, you have to spend money on real ongoing training, even
of the long-time officers, and you need to work so there's buy in at the
top ranks and stop covering their own asses. This should have payback,
but it won't be seen for several years. There'll be fewer complaints
filed, and fewer P.I. lawsuits.
Post by moviePig
Such a carrot/stick-approach reminds of Dubya's campaign
promise to cut the overall budget of a generally misbehaving Congress,
as if only the "good" behaviors would be the ones to survive...
What you are talking about isn't a police department carrot ad stick
approach.
BTR1701
2020-06-08 16:11:20 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
Except there is no widespread officer malfeasance in L.A.

We're at a 30-year low, both in use of deadly force and in complaints
against officers.

Hell, before all this shit hit the fan, Mayor Yoga Pants was constantly
taking *credit* for that and crowing about how under his leadership, the
cops are doing good for the community and violent crime is down.
Fast-forward to last week and he's now calling the entire police
department 'killers'.

He's just shamelessly pandering to the protesters that keep surrounding
his house so they'll go away and punishing the LAPD for something done
by a cop in a different department in a different state on the other
side of the country.
trotsky
2020-06-08 17:43:08 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
[...]
What should be done and who should get credit then? Your post is long
on pissing and moaning and short on (read: zero) information.
FPP
2020-06-08 21:49:48 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
[...]
When something good happens, Thanny won't credit anybody he doesn't like.
When ANYTHING bad happens, it the Dem's fault.

FPP
2020-06-08 21:45:58 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
> [...]
stupid things when they're mad.  That's it.  Cooler heads will prevail.
 > Buy guns and ammunition, folks. You're not paying attention if you
don't.
Yeah, THAT will be GRATE for cops.  Now they've got to worry about the
black guy they pull over doing what THEY usually do... over react and
kill somebody.
Only this time, it's a cop.  Grate idea from they guy who want to run
over people he doesn't agree with.  (Just. Like. ISIS. Does.)
I just read in the NYTimes that officials in NYC and LA are threatening
to reduce their policing budgets in response to widespread officer
malfeasance.  Such a carrot/stick-approach reminds of Dubya's campaign
promise to cut the overall budget of a generally misbehaving Congress,
as if only the "good" behaviors would be the ones to survive...
Learn what it means, pig. It means relieving Police from doing the
things they shouldn't be doing. With equipment that can wipe out a
division of VC.

Kind of like when you have diabetes, you don't go to your Primary Care
physician - you go to an endocrinologist.

We bought my father a chain saw for Father's Day once... he chopped down
everything he could find. In retrospect, it would have been better and
safer to get him a nice tie.

Ed Stasiak
2020-06-08 21:52:05 UTC
FPP
lol
Hass
What a surprise that most of the Trumpers have no idea what "disband the department" really means. Funny, yet still sad.
BTR1701
2020-06-08 15:59:22 UTC
Post by Hass
Post by BTR1701
Post by David Johnston
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
disband : verb : (of an organized group) break up or cause to break up
and stop functioning.

What do you think it means?
FPP
2020-06-08 21:54:58 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Hass
Post by BTR1701
Post by David Johnston
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
It means clear everybody out and re-hire them on a case by case basis.
Nothing wrong with that. Clear out the dead wood.

Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police, so that they won't
exist. That's just bullshit, no matter what Tucker Carlson or any other
moron says.

BTR1701
2020-06-08 23:11:08 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by Hass
Post by BTR1701
Post by David Johnston
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
It actually doesn't. It means what I quoted from the dictionary. You
remember the dictionary, dontcha? It's the Oracle of Delphi whose
pronouncements can never be contradicted (at least when it helps FPP win
on Usenet, that is).

And even so, how does the city clear everybody out without both
violating state civil service laws and the union contract?

Doing what you suggest would open the city up to hundreds of millions in
legal liabilities, possibly bankrupting Minneapolis, putting thousands
of minorities out of work, and ending dozens of programs designed to
help minority communities.

All so you 'progressives' of pallor can show how woke you are.
Post by FPP
Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-08 23:16:20 UTC
Post by BTR1701
. . .
Post by FPP
Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
The 9 Minneapolis city council members who demand defunding the police
changed it to defund the police, replace it with a department of public
safety.

So I guess that means the stationery is going to change.
Ian J. Ball
2020-06-09 15:45:16 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by BTR1701
. . .
Post by FPP
Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
The 9 Minneapolis city council members who demand defunding the police
changed it to defund the police, replace it with a department of public
safety.
So I guess that means the stationery is going to change.
I've already explained this - what's really going to happen is the city
cops will be disbanded, and they'll outside law enforcement to the
County Sheriffs.
FPP
2020-06-09 08:29:15 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by Hass
Post by BTR1701
Post by David Johnston
Post by FPP
Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
Nope. It means what the people who institute the change it mean. And
if they disband the force, it's only to remake it into something that's
not full of liars and misanthropes.

And as far as definitions go, we all know that's a name game. You
know... like how Trump's Clean Air Act actually ALLOWS more pollutants
into the air, and makes it dirtier.

'Clean Air' has a definition, too... but what it means is subject to who
writes the protocols.
You're trying to make it look like what YOU think will help you win
elections and scare people.

Not buying the bullshit here, counselor. And until you get an official
putting forth proposals to get rid of all police, you're just pissin' in
the wind.

Ed Stasiak
2020-06-09 13:23:31 UTC
Post by FPP
FPP
BTR1701
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
Nope. It means what the people who institute the change it mean. And
if they disband the force, it's only to remake it into something that's
not full of liars and misanthropes.
So how does that work? You shitcan all the experienced veteran cops
and replace them with what, wet-behind-the-ears high school graduates?

No, at the most we’re going to see is cops subjected to pointless
“diversity training” which does absolutely nothing to address the fact
that the people the cops have to deal with day in and day, remain the
same criminally prone morons who resist arrest and fight the cops.

Policing in America has plenty problems but you continue to ignore that
there is a large segment of the population that simply refuses to behave
in a civilized manner.
moviePig
2020-06-09 13:55:23 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by FPP
FPP
BTR1701
[...]
If your police force is pervaded by a long-standing culture that you'd
like replaced, then yeah, shitcanning a lot of "veterans" is likely in
the cards. Of course, you may, as I do, question whether that culture
is actually endemic to your raw materials, and likely to rise again...

(Some proposed "ultimate" technological solutions are on view in THE DAY
THE EARTH STOOD STILL and ROBOCOP.)
FPP
2020-06-09 14:14:09 UTC
Post by moviePig
FPP
BTR1701
[...]
May I humbly point out that Chauvin the Suffocater WAS the 'Training
Officer" - the most senior of the four. And disbanding a Police Dept.
has been done before, and it's worked out for the better.

"Since 2013, the Camden County Police Department has seen an 85% drop in
excessive force complaints.

They laid off all of their officers and started looking for new ones.
“Many of the officers were later invited to join us and be a part of
this new police force,” Cappelli says. “About 40% came back to be a
part of it.”

County leaders then started working on a new list of policies and
procedures.
They also created a new training regimen that focused on community policing.

Officers are also taught to de-escalate situations instead of using force.
Cappelli says that focus on de-escalation is the main reason why the
department has seen an 85% drop in excessive force complaints. "We have
thousands of fewer crime victims on a yearly basis and the residents of
our city are feeling much safer," Cappelli says.

Besides changing policies and procedures, county leaders also revamped
the police department’s budget. By shifting around money, and focusing
more of it on community policing, Cappelli says the county was able to
put an additional 140 officers out on the street with the same amount of
money."

Gosh... but that doesn't sound like Thanny's 'hellscape', now does it?
Could he possibly be full of shit? Again?

Ed Stasiak
2020-06-09 14:15:48 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
moviePig
Ed Stasiak
Policing in America has plenty problems but you continue to ignore that
there is a large segment of the population that simply refuses to behave
in a civilized manner.
If your police force is pervaded by a long-standing culture that you'd
like replaced, then yeah, shitcanning a lot of "veterans" is likely in
the cards. Of course, you may, as I do, question whether that culture
is actually endemic to your raw materials, and likely to rise again...
If the Left/Dems get what they want, all I see happening is a return to the
bad old days of the 1970s, with a revolving door criminal system where
the cops avoid actually doing any policing as they’re all in fear of losing
their jobs and pensions over bullshit charges of “racism!” while the courts
practice “catch and release” with whatever few criminals are arrested.

And with crime skyrocketing as a result, this will lead to a resurgence for
conservatives as happened in the 80s and lead to a harsh crack down on
criminals, with the kinda shit that lead to mandatory three-strikes-and-
you’re-out sentencing and such.

Get ready for a new batch of “Dirty Harry” and “Death Wish” type flicks…
BTR1701
2020-06-09 19:30:52 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by FPP
FPP
BTR1701
[...]
But that's *illegal* you can't fire someone just because you don't like
the culture of the agency they work in.

And the city can't change that. These are state-level civil service
laws. Maybe the BLM folks could persuade the state legislature to repeal
civil service protections for government employees, but the various
unions that control the Democrat politicians who'd be trying to do it
would have a meltdown and bring all their considerable pressure to bear.
I don't know how it works in Minnesota but the Democrats here do NOT go
up against the teacher's union or the firefighter's union or the prison
guard union. That's a recipe for political suicide.

And even if they were successful, repeal wouldn't just affect the cops.
It would affect *every* government employee in the state. Some old lady
working the county clerk's office in Lake of the Woods would get all her
protections stripped so they can fire a bunch of cops in Minneapolis?
How likely do you think that is to happen?
moviePig
2020-06-09 20:11:34 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by FPP
FPP
BTR1701
[...]
A seminal work on the development of computer systems gives fundamental
advice that applies to *any* system, imo: Plan To Throw One Away.
FPP
2020-06-09 22:34:56 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by FPP
FPP
BTR1701
[...]
Right now... about 10 times more likely than 2 weeks ago.

And you're suggesting the legislature can't write new laws? So long as
they're not discriminatory, why the hell not?

And you ignore the fact that they did exactly that in Camden, NJ, and (I
think) Compton.

Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-09 17:54:58 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by FPP
FPP
BTR1701
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
Nope. It means what the people who institute the change it mean. And
if they disband the force, it's only to remake it into something that's
not full of liars and misanthropes.
So how does that work? You shitcan all the experienced veteran cops
and replace them with what, wet-behind-the-ears high school graduates?
They keep citing Camden New Jersey's totally corrupt city police force.
They all got fired in 2012 and were forced to re-apply to be county
sheriff's police.

Ian sez they want to do something similar in Minneapolis as the city has
a budget crisis and the county would be interested in putting it on its
budget.

Minneapolis Star-Tribune had an article the other day that the third
precinct was bad policing for a long time.

Minneapolis' Third Precinct served as 'playground' for renegade cops:
Even before George Floyd was killed, the south Minneapolis precinct had
a reputation for being home to police officers who played by their own
rules.
By Libor Jany and Andy Mannix Star Tribune
June 7, 2020 - 11:52am

https://www.startribune.com/third-precinct-served-as-playground-for-renegade-cops/571076562/
. . .
Ed Stasiak
2020-06-09 20:30:19 UTC
Adam H. Kerman
Ed Stasiak
So how does that work? You shitcan all the experienced veteran cops
and replace them with what, wet-behind-the-ears high school graduates?
They keep citing Camden New Jersey's totally corrupt city police force.
They all got fired in 2012 and were forced to re-apply to be county
sheriff's police.
Yeah, seems to be working out great for them…

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/camden/crime

“Camden, NJ crime analytics. With a crime rate of 54 per 1000
residents, Camden has one of the highest crime rates in America
compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest
towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a
victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 19.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3214507/Boarded-buildings-bullet-ridden-walls-Pictures-dark-underbelly-one-America-s-dangerous-cities.html

“How bad is Camden New Jersey?
Camden is the most dangerous city in New Jersey, where your
chances of becoming a victim of crime are one in 13. Bullet
holes pictured here are evidence of the fact that there are
nearly 2,000 violent crimes committed in this small city every
year, and 57 of those are murders.”

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-jersey/nj-dangerous-places/

“How dangerous is Camden NJ?
Camden is not only the most dangerous city in New Jersey, it
is one of the most dangerous places in the United States. The
city's crime rate is four times higher than the national average.”
Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-09 20:38:25 UTC
Adam H. Kerman
Ed Stasiak
So how does that work? You shitcan all the experienced veteran cops
and replace them with what, wet-behind-the-ears high school graduates?
They keep citing Camden New Jersey's totally corrupt city police force.
They all got fired in 2012 and were forced to re-apply to be county
sheriff's police.
Yeah, seems to be working out great for them...
. . .
None of that was relevant. All that's relevant is the extent to which
police reform was implemented. The underlying crime rate didn't excuse
public corruption and bad policing to begin with.
EGK
2020-06-09 22:42:58 UTC
On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 13:30:19 -0700 (PDT), Ed Stasiak
Adam H. Kerman
Ed Stasiak
[...]
Those articles you posted are 5 years old. At any rate, they didnt get rid
of the police force. They simply created a new one that's done a better
job.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/us/disband-police-camden-new-jersey-trnd/index.html

(CNN)Last week, Minneapolis officials confirmed they were considering a
fairly rare course of action: disbanding the city police department.

It's not the first locale to break up a department, but no cities as
populous have ever attempted it. Minneapolis City Council members haven't
specified what or who will replace it if the department disbands.
Camden, New Jersey, may be the closest thing to a case study they can get.
Minneapolis City Council members intend to defund and dismantle the
city's police department
Minneapolis City Council members intend to defund and dismantle the city's
police department
The city, home to a population about 17% of Minneapolis' size, dissolved its
police department in 2012 and replaced it with an entirely new one after
corruption rendered the existing agency unfixable.
Before its police reforms, Camden was routinely named one of the most
violent cities in the US.
Now, seven years after the old department was booted (though around 100
officers were rehired), the city's crime has dropped by close to half.
Officers host outdoor parties for residents and knock on doors to introduce
themselves. It's a radically different Camden than it was even a decade ago.
Here's how they did it.
Why departments dissolve police
A city's decision to dissolve its police department is often a matter of
money -- and the cities that chose to do so are often quite small. Camden
comes closest to Minneapolis in its size and history of misconduct.
Earlier this year, the village of Deposit, New York, dissolved its
department because it cost $200,000 per year. Now, a single sheriff's deputy
is assigned to the village, CNN affiliate WICZ reported. Garden City,
Missouri, laid off all of its officers and suspended its police chief
because, as its mayor said in 2018, the city couldn't afford to keep them
employed.
In a bizarre move, Rio Vista police leadership abruptly left the department,
and half of the remaining officers left for other jobs, so the California
city's department could no longer go on, CNN affiliate KCRA reported in
January.
Lt. Zack James of the Camden County Metro Police Department marches along
with demonstrators in Camden.
Lt. Zack James of the Camden County Metro Police Department marches along
with demonstrators in Camden.
Camden dissolved its police department to root out corruption.
The city's crime rate was among the worst in the US. Within nine square
miles and among nearly 75,000 residents, there were over 170 open-air drug
markets reported in 2013, county officials told CNN. Violent crime abounded.
Police corruption was at the core.
Lawsuits filed against the department uncovered that officers routinely
planted evidence on suspects, fabricated reports and committed perjury.
After the corruption was exposed, courts overturned the convictions of 88
people, the ACLU reported in 2013.
So in 2012, officials voted to completely disband the department -- it was
beyond reform.
And in 2013, the Camden County Police Department officially began its
tenure. No other city of Camden's size has done anything quite like it.
How the new Camden police changed its approach
City officials had two objectives in remaking Camden's police: reduce
crippling violent crime and make residents feel safer.
Louis Cappelli, Camden County freeholder director (another term for a
county-level public official), said the department still has a ways to go,
but its efforts over the last seven years have been largely successful.
"Back then residents of Camden city absolutely feared the police department
and members of the department," he told CNN. "They (the residents) wanted
that to change."
Violent crimes have dropped 42% in seven years, according to city crime data
provided by the department. The crime rate has dropped from 79 per 1,000 to
44 per 1,000, the data shows.
A Camden County officer grills hot dogs for one of the department's
pop-up neighborhood parties.
A Camden County officer grills hot dogs for one of the department's pop-up
neighborhood parties.
Cappelli credits the improvement to new "community-oriented policing," which
prizes partnership and problem-solving over violence and punishment.
It starts from an officer's first day: When a new recruit joins the force,
they're required to knock on the doors of homes in the neighborhood they're
assigned to patrol, he said. They introduce themselves and ask neighbors
what needs improving.
Training emphasizes deescalation, he said, and the department's use of force
policy makes clear that deadly force is the last option.
Now, police host pop-up barbecues and pull up in Mister Softee trucks to get
to know residents, Cappelli said. They host drive-in movie nights --
recently, the movie of choice was "The Lion King" -- along what used to be
known as the city's "Heroin Highway."
The community-first initiative has made improving diversity within the force
a priority, too. Whites are the minority in Camden, so Cappelli said the new
department has hired more black and brown officers to serve black and brown
residents. (Cappelli didn't have exact numbers for the increase, but said
it's improved.)
Cappelli said the new department also hired over 100 officers who previously
served the dissolved Camden Police Department. They joined the department,
which now employs over 400.
"We want to make sure residents of the city know these streets are theirs,"
he said. "They need to claim these streets as their own, not let drug
dealers and criminals claim them."
What Minneapolis can learn from criticism of Camden
Camden and Minneapolis aren't perfect mirrors. The Midwestern metropolis is
predominantly white -- 63% of the population -- and less than 19% black. In
Camden, less than a quarter of all residents are white, but 42% of the
population is black and over 50% is Latino.
Camden also has about 356,000 fewer residents.
The criticisms lodged at Camden, though, may inform how Minneapolis goes
about its restructuring.
Camden County police pose with residents outside a Mister Softee ice cream
truck.
Camden County police pose with residents outside a Mister Softee ice cream
truck.
Ojii BaBa Madi, a lifelong resident of Camden and Justice Minister at Asbury
Community Church, said he's felt no improvement in his relationship with
police because many of the new officers don't live in Camden or know the
community well.
Additionally, the department's racial makeup isn't entirely reflective of
the city it serves, he told CNN in an email.
"The demographics of the city do not reflect these demographics," he said.
"With a white chief, as thoughtful and progressive as he is, and only one
African American captain out of seven, both the dynamics and optics of race
are a problem."
What has improved, he said, is officers' willingness to have a "productive
dialogue" between police and community leaders like him. And the city "does
feel much safer at the neighborhood level" since police started shuttering
open-air drug markets.
As for abolishing police entirely, Ojii said the city is "far away from any
practical de-policed reality" partly because of the crime that still exists
there.
"I would prefer to nail some best practices for policing as it should be,"
he said, as the city -- and society -- figures out how to change law
enforcement as it exists now.
A Camden County officer plays basketball with a young resident.
A Camden County officer plays basketball with a young resident.
Nyeema Watson, also a lifelong Camden resident who's the associate
chancellor for civic engagement at Rutgers University -- Camden, said she
thinks the restructuring has had a largely positive impact. Officers are
more visible now, and they're building trust and welcoming feedback.
Camden County Police Chief Joseph Wysocki marched with Camden residents in a
"Black Lives Matter" protest in May. Hearing him acknowledge the "rightful
pain, anger and frustration" black residents feel about police brutality was
powerful, Watson said.
Watson and Ojii agreed the city's problems remain unsolved. Those require
more work than a shift in law enforcement alone can provide.
"We can't police our way out of social issues, unemployment,
disproportionate health issues, economic challenges -- these are things that
drive crime," Watson said.
When the city improves access to education for its residents, they'll better
understand systemic racism within law enforcement and how to dismantle it,
she said.
"There are so many issues in our city, outside of policing, that promote a
constant level of tension," Ojii said, naming gentrification, poverty and
addiction among them. "In essence, Camden remains a tale of two cities."
Ed Stasiak
2020-06-10 00:29:51 UTC
Post by EGK
E Gk
Ed Stasiak
Yeah, seems to be working out great for them…
Those articles you posted are 5 years old. At any rate, they didnt get rid
of the police force. They simply created a new one that's done a better
job.
Camden is still a crime ridden shithole and they revamped their police dept.
because of corruption, is there any evidence the Minneapolis PD has this
problem (outside of the one cop who who is now facing trial)?

As RichA points out, Camden accounts for 7% of the violent crime in New
Jersey while only making up 0.87% of the overall population, so what have
they really achieved except some “feel good” propaganda?

Wow, a cop now knocks on your door and introduces himself and 5 mins
later some thug kicks down your door and robs/rapes/murders you...
BTR1701
2020-06-09 19:24:29 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by Hass
Post by BTR1701
Post by David Johnston
Post by FPP
Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
Nope. It means what the people who institute the change it mean.
Oh, so we can make up our own definitions of words now? We're not bound
by what the Oracle of Dictionary says?

Well, that sure is a complete 180 from your salad days of quoting the
dictionary a half dozen times a week as 'proof' of everything.

Post saved for future reference, the next time your magical dictionary
reappears...
And if they disband the force, it's only to remake it into something
that's not full of liars and misanthropes.
You can't just call the entire police department 'liars', then say that
gives you a legal justification for firing everyone. And what about all
the non-cop employees of the PD? The lab scientists, the video
specialists, the fingerprint techs, the secretaries and admin personnel,
the CSIs... do we call all of them liars, too, and just shit-can them
without any hearings or justification as required by the state civil
service laws?
FPP
2020-06-09 22:37:11 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by Hass
Post by BTR1701
Post by David Johnston
Post by FPP
Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
Nope. It means what the people who institute the change it mean.
Oh, so we can make up our own definitions of words now? We're not bound
by what the Oracle of Dictionary says?
Nope... because it isn't just a word... it's a term, a phrase, a slogan.
And you can make it mean anything you want to.

A "Clean Skies Act" that makes the air dirtier... remember?

BTR1701
2020-06-09 22:45:08 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by Hass
Post by BTR1701
Post by David Johnston
Post by FPP
Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
Nope. It means what the people who institute the change it mean.
Oh, so we can make up our own definitions of words now? We're not bound
by what the Oracle of Dictionary says?
Nope... because it isn't just a word... it's a term, a phrase, a slogan.
LOL! You really are something else with your dishonesty.

"'Disband' isn't a word."

Yes, it really is.
FPP
2020-06-10 00:14:18 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by Hass
Post by BTR1701
Post by David Johnston
Post by FPP
Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
Nope. It means what the people who institute the change it mean.
Oh, so we can make up our own definitions of words now? We're not bound
by what the Oracle of Dictionary says?
Nope... because it isn't just a word... it's a term, a phrase, a slogan.
LOL! You really are something else with your dishonesty.
"'Disband' isn't a word."
Yes, it really is.
'Disband' is a word. "Disband the Police" isn't. See? Readin'
comprenshun.

FPP
2020-06-10 00:17:20 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by Hass
Post by BTR1701
Post by David Johnston
Post by FPP
Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police
Yet that's exactly what the city government says they're going to do.
Apparently we're bizarrely not supposed to comment on or criticize their
actual stated plans that they've announced publicly in news conferences.
Nope. It means what the people who institute the change it mean.
Oh, so we can make up our own definitions of words now? We're not bound
by what the Oracle of Dictionary says?
Nope... because it isn't just a word... it's a term, a phrase, a slogan.
LOL! You really are something else with your dishonesty.
"'Disband' isn't a word."
Yes, it really is.
Yup... and 'green' is a color.

"green: of the color between blue and yellow in the spectrum."

But when it's in "Green New Deal" it's not referring to the color of the
deal, MORE-ON.
See?

The Horny Goat
2020-06-13 06:12:14 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
disband : verb : (of an organized group) break up or cause to break up
and stop functioning.
What do you think it means?
It means clear everybody out and re-hire them on a case by case basis.
Nothing wrong with that. Clear out the dead wood.
Nobody is going to allow the disbanding of police, so that they won't
exist. That's just bullshit, no matter what Tucker Carlson or any other
moron says.
Well it THAT case the advocates are the dumbasses as they're using
language that DOESN'T mean what they're advocating for and scaring the
hell out of large segments of the populace.

Which is not how you win their support.

Ed Stasiak
2020-06-08 14:36:34 UTC
BTR1701
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said last night that he opposed
disbanding the police department at a protest organized and
led by Black Visions Collective against police violence in
the city. That answer earned him a thundering chorus of boos
and chants of "Shame!" and "Go home, Jacob, go home!" The
New York Times called the scene a "humiliation on a scale
almost unimaginable outside of cinema or nightmare."
One of the most left-leaning 'progressive' mayors in America is
booed off the stage because he's not hard-left enough.
Hell, in the 2016 election campaign, #OnlyBlackLivesMatter literally
chased Bernie Sanders off the stage.

BTR1701
2020-06-08 17:29:31 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
BTR1701
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said last night that he opposed
disbanding the police department at a protest organized and
led by Black Visions Collective against police violence in
the city. That answer earned him a thundering chorus of boos
and chants of "Shame!" and "Go home, Jacob, go home!" The
New York Times called the scene a "humiliation on a scale
almost unimaginable outside of cinema or nightmare."
One of the most left-leaning 'progressive' mayors in America is
booed off the stage because he's not hard-left enough.
Hell, in the 2016 election campaign, #OnlyBlackLivesMatter literally
chased Bernie Sanders off the stage.
https://pyxis.nymag.com/v1/imgs/182/41b/d81dae238fedb677babddec06fba7ffded-13-
bernie-sanders-black-lives-matter-pro.2x.h473.w710.jpg
CNN: "What if in the middle of the night my home is broken into? Who do
I call?"

Minneapolis City Council Member: "Yes, I hear that loud and clear from a
lot of my neighbors. And myself, too, and I know that that comes from a
place of privilege."

https://twitter.com/LibWatchdog/status/1269966532219678722?s=20
EGK
2020-06-08 17:59:17 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ed Stasiak
BTR1701
[...]
You call your social worker. That will solve the problem of crime for
sure.
FPP
2020-06-08 21:59:29 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ed Stasiak
BTR1701
[...]
Or actually watch and listen to what the woman said, instead of Thanny's
"Cliff's Notes" version.

Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-08 18:04:41 UTC
Post by BTR1701
CNN: "What if in the middle of the night my home is broken into? Who do
I call?"
Minneapolis City Council Member: "Yes, I hear that loud and clear from a
lot of my neighbors. And myself, too, and I know that that comes from a
place of privilege."
https://twitter.com/LibWatchdog/status/1269966532219678722?s=20
That was Lisa Bender. She's not just a member. She's president.

Is there a full clip of the segment? It cuts off just as she's
explaining that privilege is about living in reality and something like
calling the police can result in more harm.

It didn't make a whole lot of sense.

At first, I thought it was somehow a privilege to have a home that an
invader might like to break into, but then, it's somehow people for whom
the system works.

Police really aren't likely to catch these criminals, unless the home invader
was known to the home owner, someone who had previously done work around
the house and was casing the joint.
EGK
2020-06-08 18:08:21 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by BTR1701
[...]
ESCAPE FROM MINNEAPOLIS starring Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken.

Everyone knows social workers can do everything cops do because criminals
alwawys respond positively to a good talking to.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-08 18:17:24 UTC
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
anim8rfsk
2020-06-08 18:18:09 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ed Stasiak
BTR1701
[...]
What!?
Post by BTR1701
https://twitter.com/LibWatchdog/status/1269966532219678722?s=20
--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/
FPP
2020-06-08 21:58:23 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ed Stasiak
BTR1701
[...]
Thanny: "I just make up shit, or take it out of context to make people
look bad."

Now post the rest of the answer... where she says that blacks don't live
in the same reality as whites do, when it comes to interactions with police.

For most blacks, the system DOESN'T WORK RIGHT NOW.
So, once again, Thanny shits out only half the turd.

BTR1701
2020-06-08 23:04:03 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ed Stasiak
BTR1701
[...]
And after all that bloviating, she never actually answers the anchors
question: "What if in the middle of the night my home is broken into?
Who do I call?"
FPP
2020-06-09 08:23:35 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ed Stasiak
BTR1701
[...]
Same people you call now... the cops. Because that's the type of things
cops are supposed to do. They're not for dealing with the homeless.

And they don't roll up with a SWAT team shooting anything black before
finding out what's going on.

And they don't act like the military, because the military are for
fighting our 'enemies', not helping fellow citizens.

Ed Stasiak
2020-06-09 13:10:29 UTC
Post by FPP
FPP
BTR1701
And after all that bloviating, she never actually answers the anchors
question: "What if in the middle of the night my home is broken into?
Who do I call?"
Same people you call now... the cops. Because that's the type of things
cops are supposed to do. They're not for dealing with the homeless.
But you, the Dems and the Mainstream Media have told us that the cops
are all evil cis-gendered White racists?

All this bullshit rioting started not because of some homeless guy but a
guy committing a crime, something which you call the cops for. Had they
sent some ding-bat social services gal to deal with it, Floyd would have
just laughed in her face and drove off (probably t-boning some innocent
citizen a block down the road, as he was high as a fucking kite…)
BTR1701
The cops from a disbanded department. Ooookayyyy...
The Horny Goat
2020-06-13 06:08:24 UTC
Post by BTR1701
CNN: "What if in the middle of the night my home is broken into? Who do
I call?"
Minneapolis City Council Member: "Yes, I hear that loud and clear from a
lot of my neighbors. And myself, too, and I know that that comes from a
place of privilege."
https://twitter.com/LibWatchdog/status/1269966532219678722?s=20
Sounds like a good thing my grandfather moved west from MN to WA 2
generations ago....
suzeeq
2020-06-08 16:11:54 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders?
Take traffic accident reports? B\
That's not a genuine question. You know damn well that Minneapolis
isn't going to disband their police department.
They are, but it's not like they're going to do it overnight, will take
several weeks, if not months.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-08 16:53:25 UTC
Post by suzeeq
They are, but it's not like they're going to do it overnight, will take
several weeks, if not months.
This was posted through AIOE. Will suzeeq please confirm that she posted
this? Otherwise, she should make an abuse report to Paolo.
suzeeq
Yes it was me. I missed Johnston's post so had to go look for it elsewhere.
FPP
2020-06-08 06:39:33 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Nope. Defund the Police is the idea that we should let cops do cops
stuff, and not make them act like social workers.

You take some of the police budget, and give it to people who can take
the jobs police aren't being trained to do (like deal with the homeless)
and give it to people who are.

THIS IS BETTER FOR THE COPS than funding more military equipment...
because the job of the military is to defeat our enemies - and citizens
AREN'T supposed to be looked at as 'the enemy'.

Smarten up... nobody who understands what the police are for is
advocating disbanding the police force entirely - unless it's to
re-build it from the ground up. When the police department is THAT
broken, this is what actually HAS worked, in the past.

moviePig
2020-06-08 13:54:59 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
On the pessimistic side, I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect
large cohorts of men routinely engaged in dangerous anti-personnel
activity *not* to develop an us-against-them camaraderie.
FPP
2020-06-08 21:41:52 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
The military aren't like that... and they're among the most engaged in
danerous anti-personnel activity, pig.

They're among the most respectful and helpful people I've ever met.

moviePig
2020-06-08 22:24:09 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
But soldiers have an official enemy, as well as an official allegiance
and a definition of 'civilian'. Police work, otoh, is more improvised.
They're Old West sheriffs... who sometimes turn into vigilantes...
Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-08 22:28:40 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
. . .
On the pessimistic side, I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect
large cohorts of men routinely engaged in dangerous anti-personnel
activity *not* to develop an us-against-them camaraderie.
The military aren't like that... and they're among the most engaged in
danerous anti-personnel activity, pig.
They're among the most respectful and helpful people I've ever met.
But soldiers have an official enemy, as well as an official allegiance
and a definition of 'civilian'. Police work, otoh, is more improvised.
They're Old West sheriffs... who sometimes turn into vigilantes...
. . . and moviePig calls the death of George Floyd first-degree murder.

Denial to follow.
moviePig
Not if it needs preceding by attention paid...
FPP
2020-06-09 08:30:53 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
. . .
On the pessimistic side, I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect
large cohorts of men routinely engaged in dangerous anti-personnel
activity *not* to develop an us-against-them camaraderie.
The military aren't like that... and they're among the most engaged in
danerous anti-personnel activity, pig.
They're among the most respectful and helpful people I've ever met.
But soldiers have an official enemy, as well as an official allegiance
and a definition of 'civilian'.  Police work, otoh, is more improvised.
They're Old West sheriffs... who sometimes turn into vigilantes...
. . . and moviePig calls the death of George Floyd first-degree murder.
Denial to follow.
Not if it needs preceding by attention paid...
It's not 1st degree unless there's evidence Chauvin had a score to
settle... which *IS* possible, because they both worked at the same
place - and Chauvin may have knows Floyd.

moviePig
2020-06-09 14:04:03 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
. . .
[...]
Even then (and we're way into fanciful speculation here) I'd doubt that
the knee, when first applied, was intended as a deadly weapon.
FPP
2020-06-09 14:19:50 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
. . .
[...]
Well, pig... maybe not. But the law doesn't say that whatever you
decide when you first start an assault is what governs the charge.
Otherwise, every killer would claim he hadn't intended to kill his wife
- it just came to him 'out of the blue'.

But what about AFTER Chauvin saw Floyd had stopped moving (and talking,
and breathing) and Chauvin was told HE DIDN'T HAVE A PULSE - but Officer
Chauvin continued to kneel on his neck for almost another 3 minutes.

Think he had the time to form intent to kill then? Because if he
didn't, what is the excuse for not rendering medical aid?

I agree, Murder One is a bit of a stretch, bur Murder Two fits the crime.

moviePig
2020-06-09 14:46:06 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
. . .
[...]
Murder Two seems to require intention though not premeditation. But I
don't see how, in this instance anyway, 'intention' can pass a test of
'reasonable doubt', as it entails a bit of mind-reading by each juror...
FPP
2020-06-09 15:13:12 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
. . .
[...]
Nope. Nine minutes. Watch the fucking video, pig. All of it.
Let me know when you get to the part where the dying man cries for his
mother.
His deceased mother. You won't have any more doubt, pig.

If they find Chauvin assaulted Floyd, and it wasn't warranted, that's a
felony. A death during the commission of a felony is a murder. In that
case, it doesn't matter WHAT Chauvin's intent was - the 'felony murder'
rule applies.

People have been executed under that - and some weren't even present
when the death occurred.

moviePig
2020-06-09 16:40:30 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
. . .
[...]
Yeah, I'm not opining on the 'felony' aspect, or what a jury might say
about it. Some Googling, though, suggests (to me) that an easier road
to second-degree murder might be via "depraved indifference".
Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-09 17:00:40 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
. . .
. . .
[...]
Or, here's a thought: You two idiots could read the charge sheet I've
cited multiple times to learn exactly what the criminal law of Minnesota
is and which facts apply to the second degree murder charge, the third
degree murder charge, and the second degree manslaughter charge.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6933248/27-CR-20-12646-Complaint.pdf
moviePig
2020-06-09 17:29:59 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
. . .
. . .
[...]
Oh, good!
You two idiots...
Dammit, Lucy...
Adam H. Kerman
2020-06-09 18:10:34 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
. . .
. . .
[...]
You and FPP keep expecting everybody else on Usenet to treat you different,
as normal thinking adults, despite the way the two of you behave. With
this discussion, FPP has gotten less wrong than you have.

The one thing FPP has been consistent on is that there's no intent to
kill to be proved because at no point did Chauvin intend to kill him.
Yet you keep raising it as a possibility. Facts mean nothing to you.

Based on the facts, the government indicted Chauvin on other murder
charges, neither of which require that intent be proved. There's also a
manslaughter charge. Again: That doesn't require proving intent.

A defendant can be indicted on a crime based on the facts of the actions
he took and how the facts demonstrate his state of mind -- the third
degree murder charge requires demonstrating that he was in a depraved
state of mind.

None of these charges require proving intent and none of the known fact
demonstrate that Chauvin had formed an intent to kill.

When FPP gets at least one obvious point and you refuse to accept it,
shouldn't that trigger just the briefest moment of self reflection that
may you should change your on-line behavior and stop offering STOOPID in
followup after followup?

FPP and you missed plenty of other known points which is why both of
you have been discussing this in ignorance. All either one of you had to
do was take moments to read the charge sheet. Then you could have had a
real discussion with an actual change of ideas, actually communicating.

I've cited the URL of the charge sheet multiple times now. You refuse to
read it, prefering to wallow in ignorance so you can keep spouting off
idiocy.
moviePig
2020-06-09 19:18:22 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
. . .
. . .
[...]
*Everybody* on Usenet expects to be treated differently. Otherwise,
they''d just read the newspaper.
...as normal thinking adults, despite the way the two of you behave. With
this discussion, FPP has gotten less wrong than you have.
Good someone's keeping score. Less good that it's you...
The one thing FPP has been consistent on is that there's no intent to
kill to be proved because at no point did Chauvin intend to kill him.
Yet you keep raising it as a possibility. Facts mean nothing to you.
I think you're mostly ass-backwards about those opinions.
Based on the facts, the government indicted Chauvin on other murder
charges, neither of which require that intent be proved. There's also a
manslaughter charge. Again: That doesn't require proving intent.
A defendant can be indicted on a crime based on the facts of the actions
he took and how the facts demonstrate his state of mind -- the third
degree murder charge requires demonstrating that he was in a depraved
state of mind.
None of these charges require proving intent and none of the known fact
demonstrate that Chauvin had formed an intent to kill.
Interesting to some, but not, as it happens, to me. Especially as
states each have their own set of definitions, apparently. (So, in your
quest to be the respected bringer of truth here, you might want give
assurance that you're quoting Minnesota statutes.)
When FPP gets at least one obvious point and you refuse to accept it,
shouldn't that trigger just the briefest moment of self reflection that
may you should change your on-line behavior and stop offering STOOPID in
followup after followup?
Why do you think I'll keep reading past your patented shitfits?
norance so you can keep spouting off
idiocy.
FPP
2020-06-10 00:19:32 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
. . .
. . .
[...]
We'll see what a jury has to say about keeping the pressure on Floyd's
neck AFTER HE KNOWS THERE IS NO PULSE.

Kinda hard to pretend you didn't know you were killing him, and intended
to, at that point.

moviePig
2020-06-10 02:26:39 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
. . .
. . .
[...]
Taking a pulse is inherently somewhat iffy. I'm thinking he'll claim to
have suspected "operator error"...

...which, although possible, may not be a suspicion he gets to act on.
FPP
2020-06-10 07:14:09 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
. . .
. . .
[...]
He stopped moving, and he stopped pleading for his life, as well as
having no pulse.
Stop making excuses, pig. You're just NOT that dumb.

moviePig
2020-06-10 13:41:19 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
. . .
. . .
[...]
"Excuses" is pretty much the definition of "reasonable doubt", which is
what a jury is supposed to look for. It's disturbing to me that, owing
to the social mood, such a search may not be practical here. If I were
the prosecutor, I'd consider trying for a predominantly, or maybe all-,
black jury...
FPP
2020-06-10 20:46:56 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
Post by FPP
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by moviePig
Post by FPP
. . .
. . .
[...]
What do you think ALL lawyers do now :-)

trotsky
2020-06-08 18:23:22 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
I think "defund the police" is unfortunate because of the negative
connotations. I myself only recently came to realize it means exactly
what you say. I would have referred to this as "correctly fund the police".
FPP
2020-06-08 22:01:28 UTC
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
Don't bother... Fox and Trump would have turned it into 'Defund the
Police' anyway. Or 'Destroy the Police'. Or any other pejorative word
you'd care to pick.

BTR1701
trotsky
2020-06-09 23:15:21 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Nope. Defund the Police is the idea that we should let cops do cops
stuff, and not make them act like social workers.
You take some of the police budget, and give it to people who can take
the jobs police aren't being trained to do (like deal with the homeless)
and give it to people who are.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21e5oy054haed5t/Zimmerman.jpg?dl=0
That's a good meme, buying right into the fact that the right wing is
morally and intellectually bankrupt without any valid solutions for
anything, and would just as soon fuck each other in the ass than help
the country in its time of need in any capacity.

Agree or disagree?
FPP
2020-06-10 00:21:02 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Nope. Defund the Police is the idea that we should let cops do cops
stuff, and not make them act like social workers.
You take some of the police budget, and give it to people who can take
the jobs police aren't being trained to do (like deal with the homeless)
and give it to people who are.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21e5oy054haed5t/Zimmerman.jpg?dl=0
Brilliant! Only you could think of replacing one murderer without a
badge with one with a badge.

Barry Margolin
2020-06-09 15:39:42 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders?
Take traffic accident reports? Break-ins? Will citizens just be on their
own now? What does this look like? What replaces the police, if
anything? And if it's just a different group doing the same thing as the
police, aren't they just the police again? Why bother doing all this?
This is not what anyone is proposing in the "defund police" proposals.
It's this kind of reaction that makes it impossible to have serious
discussions about improving things -- everyone takes it to extremes.
--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA
Ian J. Ball
2020-06-09 15:46:29 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 ·
"Minneapolis tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders?
Take traffic accident reports? Break-ins? Will citizens just be on their
own now? What does this look like? What replaces the police, if
anything? And if it's just a different group doing the same thing as the
police, aren't they just the police again? Why bother doing all this?
This is not what anyone is proposing in the "defund police" proposals.
It's this kind of reaction that makes it impossible to have serious
discussions about improving things -- everyone takes it to extremes.
Is anyone surprised that Margolin can't read a dictionary?
BTR1701
I suspect he can read it, he just doesn't like what it says.
trotsky
2020-06-09 22:47:35 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Barry Margolin
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
FPP, the media, and I have all made specific explanations about the
meaning of this term, but you closeted gay assholes refuse to
acknowledge the truth. Why?
FPP
2020-06-10 00:23:35 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Barry Margolin
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
[...]
Are you echoing the clown who thinks the phrase "defund police" is
actually IN a dictionary?

BTR1701
2020-06-09 19:16:35 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 A?
"Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders?
Take traffic accident reports? Break-ins? Will citizens just be on their
own now? What does this look like? What replaces the police, if
anything? And if it's just a different group doing the same thing as the
police, aren't they just the police again? Why bother doing all this?
This is not what anyone is proposing in the "defund police" proposals.
Which would be relevant if Minneapolis was proposing to defund the
police. They're not. They're proposing to disband the police.
trotsky
2020-06-09 22:45:59 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Barry Margolin
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 A?
"Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders?
Take traffic accident reports? Break-ins? Will citizens just be on their
own now? What does this look like? What replaces the police, if
anything? And if it's just a different group doing the same thing as the
police, aren't they just the police again? Why bother doing all this?
This is not what anyone is proposing in the "defund police" proposals.
Which would be relevant if Minneapolis was proposing to defund the
police. They're not. They're proposing to disband the police.
Could you be more vague please? Who the fuck, specifically, are you
talking about when you say "Minneapolis"? Let's be clear, you poise
yourself who discusses a topic that you have some knowledge of and this
vague bullshit that you're talking about here is the more typical of
your actual behavior. What this means is you just appear as a
bloviating asshole every time.
FPP
2020-06-10 00:25:23 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Barry Margolin
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 A?
"Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders?
Take traffic accident reports? Break-ins? Will citizens just be on their
own now? What does this look like? What replaces the police, if
anything? And if it's just a different group doing the same thing as the
police, aren't they just the police again? Why bother doing all this?
This is not what anyone is proposing in the "defund police" proposals.
Which would be relevant if Minneapolis was proposing to defund the
police. They're not. They're proposing to disband the police.
Yup. Let's go full absurd. And reband it betterer.

FPP
2020-06-10 00:22:00 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders?
Take traffic accident reports? Break-ins? Will citizens just be on their
own now? What does this look like? What replaces the police, if
anything? And if it's just a different group doing the same thing as the
police, aren't they just the police again? Why bother doing all this?
This is not what anyone is proposing in the "defund police" proposals.
It's this kind of reaction that makes it impossible to have serious
discussions about improving things -- everyone takes it to extremes.
Thanny knows that... but unless he constructs his strawman, he can't
knock it down and ignore what's going on all around him.

b***@gmail.com
Who else, but other state & feds.
BTR1701
2020-06-09 22:32:23 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders
Who else, but other state & feds.
The federal government has no authority to investigate violations of
state law, Stupidest Human on Usenet, and state police don't have the
manpower to do it for every city in the state.
trotsky
2020-06-09 23:04:38 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alan Smithee
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities ? Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis
tops our list of America's safest cities"
If you're a rich White male then, yeah.
It won't be safe for anyone after they disband their police department
entirely, as the city council seems insanely on course to do.
Genuine question: Who will investigate missing persons? Rapes? Murders
Who else, but other state & feds.
The federal government has no authority to investigate violations of
state law,
Another lie. Do you really think state statutes can't overlap and/or
contradict federal laws?
b***@gmail.com
2020-06-09 20:59:58 UTC
Forbes Magazine    America's Safest Cities
Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis tops our list
of America's safest cities"
-- https://www.forbes.com/2009/10/26/safest-cities-ten-lifestyle-real-estate-metros-msa.html#6a986483294b
Interesting. Minneapolis was one of "America's safest cities"... in 2009...using 2008 data and BEFORE >OBAMA was POTUS. It's been going downhill ever since.
You Trumpers are crazy:

Minneapolis "was editorialized as the top bicycling city in "Bicycling's Top 50" ranking in 2010"
----------------
Minneapolis Ranked Most Literate City USATODAY - Apr 10, 2015
----------------
Minneapolis Ranked #1 on Bicycling Magazine's "America's Top 50 Bike-Friendly Cities"
by Clean Energy Resource Teams
Minneapolis Ranked as Having the Best Park System in the Country (for the 4th time in 5 years).
By News Break - May 20, 2020.
RichA
2020-06-09 23:38:36 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Forbes Magazine America's Safest Cities  Oct 26, 2009 · "Minneapolis tops our list of America's safest cities"
-- https://www.forbes.com/2009/10/26/safest-cities-ten-lifestyle-real-estate-metros-msa.html#6a986483294b
But now lets get rid of police like Camden:

Camden has been dubbed the "most dangerous city" in New Jersey. ... Here's what they found for Camden: 2017 violent crimes per 100,000 people: 1,968 (state: 229) Number of violent crimes in 2017: 1,462 (7.1% of state total)May 6, 2019