Will Ferrell Says Dressing Like Janet Reno For Laughs Is "Something I Wouldn't Choose To Do Now"
Add Reply
Ubiquitous
2024-09-11 16:44:01 UTC
"Saturday Night Live" alum Will Ferrell said he would no longer accept a part
that included him dressing like a woman for laughs.

The 57-year-old actor discussed playing Clinton-era Attorney General Janet
Reno decades ago during a recent interview with his friend, "SNL" head writer
Harper Steele, for an episode of "The Interview" podcast, per Variety.

Ferrell specifically said he regretted participating in the "Janet Reno's
Fantasies" sketch from Season 23 of SNL in 1997.

When the interviewer mentioned that the sketch "hits a false note now,"
Ferrell replied by saying, "That's something I wouldn't choose to do now."

"This kind of bums me out," Steele, who identifies as transgender, said. "I
understand the laugh is a drag laugh. It's, `Hey, look at this guy in a
dress, and that's funny.' It's absolutely not funny. It's absolutely a way
that we should be able to live in the world. However, with performers and
actors, I do like a sense of play."

"This is an interesting question to me," Steele added. "Do queer people like
`The Birdcage,' or do they not? Robin Williams, at least as far as we know,
was not a gay man, and yet he spent about half of his comedy career doing a
swishy gay guy on camera. Do people think that's funny, or is it just
hurtful? I've heard from gay men that it was funny, and I've heard from gay
men that it was hurtful. I am purple-haired woke, but I wonder if sometimes
we take away the joy of playing when we take away some of the range that
performers, especially comedy performers, can do."

The outlet noted that Ferrell recalled "a fair amount" of sketches from "SNL"
which would make him "lament the choice."

The "Anchorman" star also jokingly said, "I mean, in a way, the cast - you're
kind of given this assignment. So I'm going to blame the writers."

Steele agreed, "Yeah, he's not culpable at all," then continued, "I wrote
Monica Lewinsky stuff I wasn't proud of. I wrote some good Britney Spears
stuff and some stuff that I'm not as proud of. I wrote some Clinton things I
wasn't proud of. I'm just moving on. I have to."

Ferrell is promoting his project "Will & Harper," a Netflix documentary he
did with Harper featuring the two of them going on a cross-country road trip.

Let's go Brandon!
Ian J. Ball
2024-09-11 18:29:17 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
"Saturday Night Live" alum Will Ferrell said he would no longer accept a part
that included him dressing like a woman for laughs.
The 57-year-old actor discussed playing Clinton-era Attorney General Janet
Reno decades ago during a recent interview with his friend, "SNL" head writer
Harper Steele, for an episode of "The Interview" podcast, per Variety.
Ferrell specifically said he regretted participating in the "Janet Reno's
Fantasies" sketch from Season 23 of SNL in 1997.
When the interviewer mentioned that the sketch "hits a false note now,"
Ferrell replied by saying, "That's something I wouldn't choose to do now."
Yeah, Ferrell has devolved into an unfunny woke codger these days.

(Meanwhile, Jim Carrey just devolved to an extremely unfunny codger
generally.)

What is it about modern comics not being able to maintain their
comedy/"funny" chops through middle age?!!
(Adam Sandler is the only one who seems to be even *trying*! (if not
necessarily succeeding...))
BTR1701
Seinfeld is still doing some good standup.
anim8rfsk
2024-09-11 20:17:48 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Ubiquitous
"Saturday Night Live" alum Will Ferrell said he would no longer accept a part
that included him dressing like a woman for laughs.
The 57-year-old actor discussed playing Clinton-era Attorney General Janet
Reno decades ago during a recent interview with his friend, "SNL" head writer
Harper Steele, for an episode of "The Interview" podcast, per Variety.
Ferrell specifically said he regretted participating in the "Janet Reno's
Fantasies" sketch from Season 23 of SNL in 1997.
When the interviewer mentioned that the sketch "hits a false note now,"
Ferrell replied by saying, "That's something I wouldn't choose to do now."
Yeah, Ferrell has devolved into an unfunny woke codger these days.
Now wait a minute. Let’s get our facts straight. Will Ferrett was never
funny to begin with. Not for a minute, not for a second, not for a frame,
not for a field. However, the article goes along way towards explaining why
SNL hasn’t been funny in 30 or 40 years.
Post by Ian J. Ball
(Meanwhile, Jim Carrey just devolved to an extremely unfunny codger
generally.)
Carrey seems to have caught mental illness from Jenny McCarthy. A
cautionary tale for anyone who thinks that isn’t contagious.
Post by Ian J. Ball
What is it about modern comics not being able to maintain their
comedy/"funny" chops through middle age?!!
(Adam Sandler is the only one who seems to be even *trying*! (if not
necessarily succeeding...))
Sandler was never funny to begin with either.

It was sad how unfunny doing the exact same stuff he’s always done that
Richard Lewis was in that vampire movie you damned me into watching.
Ubiquitous
2024-09-12 14:05:34 UTC

Post by Ian J. Ball
What is it about modern comics not being able to maintain their
comedy/"funny" chops through middle age?!!
(Adam Sandler is the only one who seems to be even *trying*! (if not
necessarily succeeding...))
Sandler was never funny to begin with either.
True, but I have to admit I admire him getting rich from unfunny movies.

Let's go Brandon!
Pluted Pup
2024-09-18 05:28:49 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Ubiquitous
"Saturday Night Live" alum Will Ferrell said he would no longer accept a part
that included him dressing like a woman for laughs.
"Men dressing up as women is never funny, unless queers
do it and then it's especially unfunny if you aren't queer,
you can't laugh unless you are queer, and then it's not
funny because queers aren't funny!"

Queers apparently are damn humorless, no irreverent sense of
play, no feeling of joy in life. If you want killjoys,
call in the queers.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Ubiquitous
The 57-year-old actor discussed playing Clinton-era Attorney General Janet
Reno decades ago during a recent interview with his friend, "SNL" head writer
Harper Steele, for an episode of "The Interview" podcast, per Variety.
Ferrell specifically said he regretted participating in the "Janet Reno's
Fantasies" sketch from Season 23 of SNL in 1997.
When the interviewer mentioned that the sketch "hits a false note now,"
Ferrell replied by saying, "That's something I wouldn't choose to do now."
Yeah, Ferrell has devolved into an unfunny woke codger these days.
Now wait a minute. Let´s get our facts straight. Will Ferrett was never
funny to begin with. Not for a minute, not for a second, not for a frame,
not for a field. However, the article goes along way towards explaining why
SNL hasn´t been funny in 30 or 40 years.
I laughed at the Will Ferrell Best of SNL, first volume, like
when the devil tries to sell songs to a songwriter.
Post by Ian J. Ball
What is it about modern comics not being able to maintain their
comedy/"funny" chops through middle age?!!
Comedy is widely deprecated by the Smart TV Set. Why, the world
is a cold mausoleum and you're asking for permission to laugh at a funeral!
Tears are the only appropriate reaction to contemporary dramaturgidology!
Post by Ian J. Ball
(Adam Sandler is the only one who seems to be even *trying*! (if not
necessarily succeeding...))
Sandler was never funny to begin with either.
I laughed at Anger Management (2003), but that says nothing
about whether Sandler is funny or not.
Ubiquitous
2024-09-14 08:30:43 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ian J. Ball
Yeah, Ferrell has devolved into an unfunny woke codger these days.
What is it about modern comics not being able to maintain their
comedy/"funny" chops through middle age?!!
(Adam Sandler is the only one who seems to be even *trying*! (if not
necessarily succeeding...))
Seinfeld is still doing some good standup.
I thought he said he quit doing standup, or was that only certain venues?

Let's go Brandon!
BTR1701
2024-09-14 18:37:47 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ian J. Ball
Yeah, Ferrell has devolved into an unfunny woke codger these days.
What is it about modern comics not being able to maintain their
comedy/"funny" chops through middle age?!!
(Adam Sandler is the only one who seems to be even *trying*! (if not
necessarily succeeding...))
Seinfeld is still doing some good standup.
I thought he said he quit doing standup, or was that only certain venues?
No, he's still performing. There have been some newsworthy clips in the
past few months of him taking on pro-Palestine activists who have tried
to disrupt his shows because he's Jewish or something.
anim8rfsk
2024-09-14 19:32:34 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ian J. Ball
Yeah, Ferrell has devolved into an unfunny woke codger these days.
What is it about modern comics not being able to maintain their
comedy/"funny" chops through middle age?!!
(Adam Sandler is the only one who seems to be even *trying*! (if not
necessarily succeeding...))
Seinfeld is still doing some good standup.
I thought he said he quit doing standup, or was that only certain venues?
No, he's still performing. There have been some newsworthy clips in the
past few months of him taking on pro-Palestine activists who have tried
to disrupt his shows because he's Jewish or something.
Cage match! With Snow White idiot!
Stacy Robinsona
2024-09-12 14:41:14 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Will, you forgot something, apologize to all the people you offended with your
horrible, divisive, sexist comedy! And then when you're done, quite your job
and meditate on your oppression and never do comedy again.