What Did You Watch? 2024-09-12 (Thursday)
Add Reply
Ubiquitous
2024-09-13 08:30:40 UTC
After an arduous workout, I watched:

Nothing.

What did you watch?

--
When we cheat, we win!
Harris/Walz 2024
Ian J. Ball
2024-09-13 14:49:29 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
What did you watch?
I took it easy yesterday, after running some errands that I couldn't get
to until Thursday. So, what I watched was:

soaps: GH - Tues' & Wed's ep's. Enjoyably NuNuNuMolly becomes convinced
that Alexis is covering for Kristina (true!) and that Kristina
probably(?) killed Jagger (unfortunately, not true), and so demands that
Alexis stop covering for Kristina (Diane kind of does the same later),
and then throws Kristina under the bus with the cops! (Ha!) After
talking with Molly, Ric decides to take Ava's case after all, even
despite previously again telling Nina "no". Both Anna and Carly go to
Brennan to try to get info on Lucky - Brennan asks Carly who she's going
to send to Somalia(!) to get Lucky (uh, duh!). Jordan is still
interested in Lucky's doctor friend's story; later Anna questions him
pointedly. Liz overhears Willow talking about "needing to forget about
Drew" to ComaLulu. (Ugh! I just read who they're going to recast Lulu
with... >:/ )

Mommy's Stolen Memories (LMN) - While this apparently debuted in the UK
in 2023, it's really a 2024 film as this was its "U.S. debut".
Tammin Sursok is pretty good in this, but this film offered
absolutely no surprises, outside of ascribing Sursok's character's
amnesia to a "series of strokes" (which is a novel cause in one of these
flicks, especially in someone as young as Sursok, though they do end up
muddying this up at the end...). This flick went down exactly the way I
expected it too, right down to the "EVOL! man!" Lifetime trope. (Though
I wasn't 100% convinced that Sursok's character hadn't been in on it...)
This film was really weird in one aspect - the lovely Maia Mae
Fields (here credited as "Maia Mae") appears in the early parts of the
film as a mysterious woman apparently stalking Sursok's 7-year old son
(laughably, Sursok describes Fields as "being in her 30s" while it's
pretty clear that Fields is actually a younger actress in her 20s) - but
then Fields disappears from the last half of the film and is replaced by
another woman. It's almost like they originally intended Fields to be
playing the boy's [spoiler deleted!], and then for some reason during
production changed their minds and cast another actress (Stephanie
Izsak) in the role...
Anyway, I would have enjoyed this film more if it hadn't have been
so damn predictable.

I forgot to mention that on Wednesday night, I finally saw Lifetime's
"Surviving the Sleepover" all the way through - when I originally saw
it, I only saw the last hour of the film. "Surviving the Sleepover" is
actually kind of fun, though incredibly improbable. I also think the
film makes a mistake by not fully "leaning into" an "incestuous" affair
between Jenna Hogan's EVOL(?) crazy(?) character and her stepbrother.
But this one is a decent enough salacious teen potboiler with an
unstable "Big Bad".

What did you watch?
Arthur Lipscomb
2024-09-13 15:59:18 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
I watched:

Speak No Evil (theatrical) New thriller (remake of a 2022 Danish film)
starring Mackenzei Davis and Scoot McNairy as an American couple on
vacation in Europe with their young daughter who meet a doctor played by
James McAvoy and his wife and son who are also on vacation. After
several awkward encounters McAvoy invite the Americans to stay at his
family farm to get away from it all. Now if you've seen the trailers,
you *know* what's gong to happen! The trailer gives the entire movie
away. If you haven't seen the trailers, well this movie is hard to
discuss without spoilers. But basically McAvoy and his family are not
who they appear to be. Overall it is a very good, very intense movie.
If you like movies like "Funny Games" or "Straw Dogs" then this is
definitely one to check out.

Here's the spoiler filled trailer:

Ian J. Ball
2024-09-13 18:12:00 UTC
On 9/13/2024 7:49 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote: >
Post by Ubiquitous
What did you watch?
Speak No Evil (theatrical) New thriller (remake of a 2022 Danish film)
starring Mackenzie Davis and Scoot McNairy as an American couple on
vacation in Europe with their young daughter who meet a doctor played by
James McAvoy and his wife and son who are also on vacation.  After
several awkward encounters McAvoy invite the Americans to stay at his
family farm to get away from it all.  Now if you've seen the trailers,
you *know* what's gong to happen!  The trailer gives the entire movie
away.  If you haven't seen the trailers, well this movie is hard to
discuss without spoilers.  But basically McAvoy and his family are not
who they appear to be.  Overall it is a very good, very intense movie.
If you like movies like "Funny Games" or "Straw Dogs" then this is
definitely one to check out.
The thing is, I don't think I do like movies like that very much. I
rather prefer movies more like "You're Next" or "Ready or Not" in the
same kind of genre....
http://youtu.be/tw5ocan7VUw
Arthur Lipscomb
2024-09-13 19:24:40 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
On 9/13/2024 7:49 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote: >
Post by Ubiquitous
What did you watch?
[...]
I almost mentioned originally, but I actually hate "Funny Games" with a
burning passion. So it's definitely possible to not like "Funny Games"
but like "Speak No Evil." I know I saw "You're Next" and "Ready or Not"
and I'm pretty sure I liked both movies, but I don't remember either
well enough to draw a comparison. "Funny Games" is just forever burned
into my mind so it was easy to drawn the comparison of a family
(husband, wife, kid) who encounter the wrong people.