CNN: Street in Miami to be named after THUG Trayvon Martin
RichA
2020-10-12 00:02:28 UTC
Used to be at one time, street name were reserved (when they were named for people) for people who'd accomplished something positive.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/11/us/trayvon-martin-street-named-miami-trnd/index.html
kensi
2020-10-12 04:24:19 UTC
Post by RichA
Used to be at one time, street name were reserved (when they were named for people) for people who'd accomplished something positive.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/11/us/trayvon-martin-street-named-miami-trnd/index.html
I'd have thought an alleged Christian such as yourself would understand
the concept of a poor person of an ethnic minority opposing an
oppressive system, becoming a martyr for the cause, and then being
celebrated and having things named after him?
in here." ~Checkmate
RichA
Lots of poor people don't become thugs.
kensi
2020-10-12 05:44:20 UTC
Post by RichA
Post by kensi
Post by RichA
Used to be at one time, street name were reserved (when they were named for people) for people who'd accomplished something positive.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/11/us/trayvon-martin-street-named-miami-trnd/index.html
I'd have thought an alleged Christian such as yourself would understand
the concept of a poor person of an ethnic minority opposing an
oppressive system, becoming a martyr for the cause, and then being
celebrated and having things named after him?
Lots of poor people don't become thugs.
Complete evasion of my point noted. I'm sure the Romans called Yeshua
bin Yusuf, the poor Jew agitator, their equivalent of "thug", and much
worse besides. Portraying an opposition political figure as violent or
dangerous, regardless of the facts, is standard practice for
authoritarian regimes.
in here." ~Checkmate
The Horny Goat
2020-10-15 15:08:33 UTC
On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 01:44:20 -0400, kensi
Post by kensi
Post by RichA
Lots of poor people don't become thugs.
Complete evasion of my point noted. I'm sure the Romans called Yeshua
bin Yusuf, the poor Jew agitator, their equivalent of "thug", and much
worse besides. Portraying an opposition political figure as violent or
dangerous, regardless of the facts, is standard practice for
authoritarian regimes.
Fair enough - but in Ancient Rome that description of Jesus continued
for way more than 100 years after his death.

How long has it been here?
BTR1701
2020-10-12 14:14:31 UTC
Post by kensi
Post by RichA
Used to be at one time, street name were reserved (when they were named
for people) for people who'd accomplished something positive.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/11/us/trayvon-martin-street-named-miami-trnd/index.html
I'd have thought an alleged Christian such as yourself
To my knowledge, Rich has never alleged himself to be a Christian in this
newsgroup.
trotsky
So true, he's had decades of practice at being an anonyshit.
Ed Stasiak
2020-10-12 20:48:48 UTC
kensi
an ethnic minority opposing an oppressive system
How was Trayvon “opposing an oppressive system” when
he attacked Zimmerman?
kensi
2020-10-13 04:35:45 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
kensi
an ethnic minority opposing an oppressive system
How was Trayvon “opposing an oppressive system” when
he attacked Zimmerman?
a) He did not attack Zimmerman; Zimmerman attacked him.
b) And if he had ... well, Zimmerman was a vigilante who engaged in
wanton violence against members of ethnic minorities. Attacking him
would therefore have indeed been "opposing an oppressive system", to
wit white supremacist vigilantism.
in here." ~Checkmate
BTR1701
2020-10-13 13:49:04 UTC
Post by kensi
Post by Ed Stasiak
kensi
an ethnic minority opposing an oppressive system
How was Trayvon “opposing an oppressive system” when
he attacked Zimmerman?
a) He did not attack Zimmerman; Zimmerman attacked him.
b) And if he had ... well, Zimmerman was a vigilante who engaged in
wanton violence against members of ethnic minorities. Attacking him
would therefore have indeed been "opposing an oppressive system", to
wit white supremacist vigilantism.
Zimmerman himself is an ethnic minority. He's latino.

It's amazing how often latinos suddenly become white when the media wants
to paint them as the bad guy.
FPP
2020-10-13 14:11:00 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
Post by Ed Stasiak
kensi
an ethnic minority opposing an oppressive system
How was Trayvon “opposing an oppressive system” when
he attacked Zimmerman?
a) He did not attack Zimmerman; Zimmerman attacked him.
b) And if he had ... well, Zimmerman was a vigilante who engaged in
wanton violence against members of ethnic minorities. Attacking him
would therefore have indeed been "opposing an oppressive system", to
wit white supremacist vigilantism.
Zimmerman himself is an ethnic minority. He's latino.
It's amazing how often latinos suddenly become white when the media wants
to paint them as the bad guy.
I would think Zimmerman did that all by himself. He got worse after the
murder rap he beat.
--
There's nothing more American than demanding to carry an AR-15 to
"protect yourself" but refusing to wear a mask to protect everyone else.

If you hired a guy to "Make My House Great Again", and he hired his
incompetent children, stole your money, gave it away to your richest
neighbors, let everyone get sick, killed your grandma, backed over your
mailbox, burned down your house and blamed it on your black friends next
door... would YOU hire him AGAIN?

REAL PRESIDENTS LEAD. REALITY TV PRESIDENTS DON'T.
Trump: "No, I don't take responsibility at all." - 3/13/20
trotsky
Yeah, so was Bob Dylan.
kensi
2020-10-14 02:54:21 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
Post by Ed Stasiak
kensi
an ethnic minority opposing an oppressive system
How was Trayvon “opposing an oppressive system” when
he attacked Zimmerman?
a) He did not attack Zimmerman; Zimmerman attacked him.
b) And if he had ... well, Zimmerman was a vigilante who engaged in
wanton violence against members of ethnic minorities. Attacking him
would therefore have indeed been "opposing an oppressive system", to
wit white supremacist vigilantism.
Zimmerman himself is an ethnic minority. He's latino.
"Zimmerman" is not a Hispanic name, and if he isn't white, he's
certainly white-passing.

My point stands.
in here." ~Checkmate
BTR1701
So?
kensi
2020-10-15 01:29:23 UTC
Post by kensi
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
a) He did not attack Zimmerman; Zimmerman attacked him.
b) And if he had ... well, Zimmerman was a vigilante who engaged in
wanton violence against members of ethnic minorities. Attacking him
would therefore have indeed been "opposing an oppressive system", to
wit white supremacist vigilantism.
Zimmerman himself is an ethnic minority. He's latino.
"Zimmerman" is not a Hispanic name, and if he isn't white, he's
certainly white-passing.
My point stands.
So?
So, that means you lose. (As usual.)
in here." ~Checkmate
BTR1701
You're the only one here trying to win on Usenet.
kensi
in here." ~Checkmate
BTR1701
2020-10-16 02:45:07 UTC
Post by kensi
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
Post by kensi
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
a) He did not attack Zimmerman; Zimmerman attacked him.
b) And if he had ... well, Zimmerman was a vigilante who engaged in
wanton violence against members of ethnic minorities. Attacking him
would therefore have indeed been "opposing an oppressive system", to
wit white supremacist vigilantism.
Zimmerman himself is an ethnic minority. He's latino.
"Zimmerman" is not a Hispanic name, and if he isn't white, he's
certainly white-passing.
My point stands.
So?
So, that means you lose.
You're the only one here trying to win on Usenet.
Bullshit.
Congratulations! With that sunbstanceless vulgarity, you won on Usenet
today. Now you can go stand in front of the mirror and sing some cliched
Queen to yourself, while masturbating to a joyless orgasm.
kensi
2020-10-16 02:50:03 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
Post by kensi
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
a) He did not attack Zimmerman; Zimmerman attacked him.
b) And if he had ... well, Zimmerman was a vigilante who engaged in
wanton violence against members of ethnic minorities. Attacking him
would therefore have indeed been "opposing an oppressive system", to
wit white supremacist vigilantism.
Zimmerman himself is an ethnic minority. He's latino.
"Zimmerman" is not a Hispanic name, and if he isn't white, he's
certainly white-passing.
My point stands.
So?
So, that means you lose.
You're the only one here trying to win on Usenet.
Bullshit.
Congratulations! With that sunbstanceless vulgarity, you won on Usenet
today. Now you can go stand in front of the mirror and sing some cliched
Queen to yourself, while masturbating to a joyless orgasm.
Mine are never joyless, k0ok, but I accept your concession.

Let the record show that both sides now stipulate to the fact that
Zimmerman instigated the altercation in which Martin was killed. That
fact is no longer in dispute.
in here." ~Checkmate
BTR1701
As if that's determined by posts on Usenet newsgroup.
kensi
2020-10-18 02:38:16 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
Post by kensi
Post by BTR1701
Post by kensi
[...]
Er, excuse me! You already conceded that matter. No backsies, k0Ok!
in here." ~Checkmate
FPP
2020-10-16 07:08:29 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Now you can go stand in front of the mirror and sing some cliched
Queen to yourself, while masturbating to a joyless orgasm.
Sounds like somebody has spent way, way too much time thinking that
through...

kensi
2020-10-18 02:39:42 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Now you can go stand in front of the mirror and sing some cliched
Queen to yourself, while masturbating to a joyless orgasm.
Sounds like somebody has spent way, way too much time thinking that
through...
He isn't the first foamy kOok to publicly have sexual fantasies about
me, and I doubt he'll be the last. I don't know why it's such a common
occurrence. Freud, I suspect, would have a field day with this ...
in here." ~Checkmate
trotsky
Yes, kensi, we all know Thanny is the expert on such things.
Ed Stasiak
2020-10-14 00:46:22 UTC
Post by kensi
kensi
Ed Stasiak
How was Trayvon “opposing an oppressive system” when
he attacked Zimmerman?
He did not attack Zimmerman; Zimmerman attacked him.
Why are you lying about it when it was all laid out in court?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin
FPP
2020-10-14 01:50:14 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by kensi
kensi
Ed Stasiak
How was Trayvon “opposing an oppressive system” when
he attacked Zimmerman?
He did not attack Zimmerman; Zimmerman attacked him.
Why are you lying about it when it was all laid out in court?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin
Who pursued who? After cops told him NOT to?
Who confronted who?

Who was the aggressor, Ed? The guy with the gun, or the kid with the
skittles and ice tea?
Jesus, of course Martin fought back... that's what you clowns keep
telling us YOU would do, if attacked, right?

Oh, but I forgot... Martin obviously 'pulled a gun' on Zimmerman. I
forgot about "The Stasiak Rule".

Now let's look at what Zimmerman has done SINCE his acquittal.

"The most blatant example of this came last October when he retweeted a
photograph of Trayvon Martin's slain body. The original tweet read
"Z-man is a one-man army." Following media outrage, Zimmerman claimed he
wasn't aware the tweet included a photograph."

Real class act, there, right Ed? Next!

"Those tweets -- and all his others -- can't be linked to, because his
account was suspended in 2015 after he posted semi-nude photographs of
his ex-girlfriend. In the captions, he included her personal email
address and telephone number and accused her of having sex with a "dirty
Muslim."

Still as classy as ever, right, Ed? Next!

"Later in 2013, he was arrested and charged with felony aggravated
assault for allegedly pointing a shotgun at his girlfriend. The case was
later dropped. Two years later, he was arrested again -- this time for
charges of domestic aggravated assault for allegedly throwing a bottle
of wine at his girlfriend -- and again the charges were later dropped."

Real peaceful guy... he'd never instigate anything. Next!

"Finally, last May, Zimmerman was shot, receiving minor injuries, during
a dispute with a motorist named Matthew Apperson. In 2014, Apperson had
called the police in a different dispute, saying Zimmerman had allegedly
threatened him by saying, "Do you know who I am?" and "I'll fucking kill
you," according to Vox."

Next!

"His follow-up painting, named "Angie" after Angela Corey, the special
prosecutor who was appointed by Florida Republican Gov. Rick Scott to
investigate the death of Trayvon Martin, didn't fare so well. It
depicted Corey with her fingers pressed against her thumbs and a caption
reading, "I have this much respect for the American judicial system."

Nothing threatening there. Next!

"In fact, his legal troubles go back to 2005, when he was arrested
twice. First in a domestic dispute that ended with a broken engagement
and a restraining order filed against him. Then, for the battery of an
officer after he shoved an undercover agent who was arresting
Zimmerman's underage friend for being in a bar."

And THIS is the guy you're sure wasn't the aggressor, Ed? This piece of
shit is who you want to champion?

FPP
2020-10-14 01:52:29 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by kensi
kensi
Ed Stasiak
[...]
Shit... forgot this one. Sorry.

"According to CNN.com, Zimmerman has been accused of criminally stalking
private investigator Dennis Warren in Florida. Warren was hired by a
production company that was working on a documentary about Trayvon
Martin’s life. Zimmerman reportedly called Warren 55 times, left 36
voicemails, sent 67 texts and 27 emails all within nine days from
December 16 to Christmas last year. One of the texts reportedly read, “I
know how to handle people who f**k with me. I have since February of
2012,” which is the month he killed Trayvon Martin. In addition,
Zimmerman threatened to feed Dennis Warren to an alligator, allegedly
writing in a text, “Anyone who [expletive] with my parents will be fed
to an alligator.” Warren contacted Zimmerman’s family members."

Ed Stasiak
2020-10-14 22:09:39 UTC
Post by FPP
FPP
Ed Stasiak
Why are you lying about it when it was all laid out in court?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin
Who pursued who?
Zimmerman wasn’t “pursuing” Trayvon, he was following him because
he knew he didn’t live in the complex, which had been suffering from
numerous burglaries and other crime problems.

“From January 1, 2011, through February 26, 2012, police were called
to The Retreat at Twin Lakes 402 times.[34] Crimes committed at The
Retreat in the year prior to Martin's death had included eight burglaries,
nine thefts, and one shooting.[35] Twin Lakes residents said there were
dozens of reports of attempted break-ins, which had created an
atmosphere of fear in their neighborhood.[2]”
Post by FPP
Who confronted who?
Trayvon confronted Zimmerman after he turned to go back to his truck
and then attacked him.

Post by FPP
Who was the aggressor, Ed?
Trayvon.
FPP
2020-10-14 23:26:33 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by FPP
FPP
Ed Stasiak
Post by FPP
Who confronted who?
Trayvon confronted Zimmerman after he turned to go back to his truck
and then attacked him.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/George_Zimmerman_front_of_head.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/George_Zimmerman_back_of_head.jpg
Post by FPP
Who was the aggressor, Ed?
Trayvon.
Yeah, right. He wasn't 'pursuing' him because he KNEW everybody who
belonged there, and Trayvon was just too black for that, right?

We've got a word for that, Ed? Care to guess?

Zimmerman KNEW dick.

FPP
2020-10-13 05:10:59 UTC
Post by Ed Stasiak
kensi
an ethnic minority opposing an oppressive system
How was Trayvon “opposing an oppressive system” when
he attacked Zimmerman?
Correction: Stalked BY Zimmerman.

The Horny Goat
2020-10-15 15:07:05 UTC
On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 00:24:19 -0400, kensi
Post by kensi
Post by RichA
Used to be at one time, street name were reserved (when they were named for people) for people who'd accomplished something positive.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/11/us/trayvon-martin-street-named-miami-trnd/index.html
I'd have thought an alleged Christian such as yourself would understand
the concept of a poor person of an ethnic minority opposing an
oppressive system, becoming a martyr for the cause, and then being
celebrated and having things named after him?
If you're looking for a black role model to name a street after there
are a huge number more worthy than Martin.

The only thing distinctive about Martin was the manner of his passing.
kensi
2020-10-16 02:41:34 UTC
Post by kensi
Post by RichA
Used to be at one time, street name were reserved (when they were named for people) for people who'd accomplished something positive.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/11/us/trayvon-martin-street-named-miami-trnd/index.html
I'd have thought an alleged Christian such as yourself would understand
the concept of a poor person of an ethnic minority opposing an
oppressive system, becoming a martyr for the cause, and then being
celebrated and having things named after him?
If you're looking for a black role model to name a street after there
are a huge number more worthy than Martin.
There's already fifty million Martin Luther King Boulevards and
suchlike. Spread the wealth!
in here." ~Checkmate
The Horny Goat
2020-10-19 02:26:57 UTC
Post by kensi
Post by RichA
Used to be at one time, street name were reserved (when they were named for people) for people who'd accomplished something positive.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/11/us/trayvon-martin-street-named-miami-trnd/index.html
I'd have thought an alleged Christian such as yourself would understand
the concept of a poor person of an ethnic minority opposing an
oppressive system, becoming a martyr for the cause, and then being
celebrated and having things named after him?
If you're looking for a black role model to name a street after there
are a huge number more worthy than Martin.
There's already fifty million Martin Luther King Boulevards and
suchlike. Spread the wealth!
You need to reread the link above. I would willingly concede that Dr
Martin Luther King Jr was a far better role model (at least in public
- his sex life seems dubious) than Trayvon Martin.

I was visiting London, England in 2016 when Muhammed Ali died. There
seem few streets yet named for him. Perhaps that will change in future
but in the past 4 years not really.

I say again if you want a black hero to name a street after there's a
long list of black men and women you could choose before Trayvon
Martin.
kensi
2020-10-19 03:14:01 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
I say again if you want a black hero to name a street after there's a
long list of black men and women you could choose before Trayvon
Martin.
How many of them were martyred?
in here." ~Checkmate
The Horny Goat
2020-10-20 04:06:43 UTC
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 23:14:01 -0400, kensi
Post by kensi
Post by The Horny Goat
I say again if you want a black hero to name a street after there's a
long list of black men and women you could choose before Trayvon
Martin.
How many of them were martyred?
You would definitely get varying definitions of martyrdom vs murder.

King was championing a cause. Martin was not. Merely being in the
wrong place at the wrong time is not evidence of sainthood.

And I >CERTAINLY< don't describe the butcher (which is literally true
given decapitation was involved) of Paris to be a martyr and would
hold in contempt any who DID consider him that way.
kensi
2020-10-21 03:30:02 UTC
Post by kensi
Post by The Horny Goat
I say again if you want a black hero to name a street after there's a
long list of black men and women you could choose before Trayvon
Martin.
How many of them were martyred?
You would definitely get varying definitions of martyrdom vs murder.
King was championing a cause. Martin was not.
And yet somehow I suspect that your objection to naming anything for
Trayvon Martin is not based on that. I think you've fallen into the
"respectability politics" trap ...
in here." ~Checkmate
RichA
Naming of streets and public buildings (when named after people) was a deserved honorarium. All that f------ deserved was a pauper's grave.
kensi
2020-10-22 03:28:58 UTC
Post by RichA
Post by FPP
Trayvon Martin
Naming of streets and public buildings (when named after people) was
a deserved honorarium. All that f------ deserved was a pauper's grave.
Proof, ko0k?
in here." ~Checkmate
The Horny Goat
2020-10-25 21:49:14 UTC
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 23:28:58 -0400, kensi
Post by kensi
Post by RichA
Post by FPP
Trayvon Martin
Naming of streets and public buildings (when named after people) was
a deserved honorarium. All that f------ deserved was a pauper's grave.
Proof, ko0k?
There's not a snowflake's chance in hell you could either prove or
disprove that proposition (i.e. whether Martin deserves an honorarium
or a pauper's grave) by anything resembling objective standards.

As for Rich's kookiness that's reasonably well established in this
newsgroup.
The Horny Goat
2020-10-25 21:46:42 UTC
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 23:30:02 -0400, kensi
Post by kensi
Post by The Horny Goat
You would definitely get varying definitions of martyrdom vs murder.
King was championing a cause. Martin was not.
And yet somehow I suspect that your objection to naming anything for
Trayvon Martin is not based on that. I think you've fallen into the
"respectability politics" trap ...
If you're SUGGESTING what it SOUNDS like you're suggesting then
logically I would reject naming things for King as well and you would
be wrong on that.

There were plenty of things King did that would bend or break the
"respectability test" just like was the case with Mandela.

If you have not seen the movie "Invictus" then you should. I had an
extremely interesting chat with a former employee about that film -
she's Afrikaaner South African who emigrated as she couldn't stand the
way the pre-Mandela regime was going and figured Canada was a good
alternative. She emphasized how the Mandela - Pienaar link (she
referred to both of them as iconic figures in South Africa) so
advanced post-Apartheid reconciliation in a way that couldn't have
been achieved any other way. (Obviously the NAACP thought so too as
they gave the movie an award - and with all due respect one would not
normally expect the NAACP to be Clint Eastwood fans!)

Before this conversation goes further you need to define what you mean
by "respectability politics" as that has more than one interpretation
some of which I can embrace some not.
kensi
2020-10-26 02:40:08 UTC
Post by kensi
Post by The Horny Goat
You would definitely get varying definitions of martyrdom vs murder.
King was championing a cause. Martin was not.
And yet somehow I suspect that your objection to naming anything for
Trayvon Martin is not based on that. I think you've fallen into the
"respectability politics" trap ...
If you're SUGGESTING what it SOUNDS like you're suggesting then
logically I would reject naming things for King as well and you would
be wrong on that.
There were plenty of things King did that would bend or break the
"respectability test" just like was the case with Mandela.
Indeed; but their images have spent decades being whitewashed and
sanitized to make them palatable to whites with fragile egos since then.
Insufficient time has passed for recent BLM-associated black martyrs to
have undergone the same processing as of yet.
in here." ~Checkmate
The Horny Goat
2020-10-26 07:35:43 UTC
On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 22:40:08 -0400, kensi
Post by kensi
Post by The Horny Goat
There were plenty of things King did that would bend or break the
"respectability test" just like was the case with Mandela.
Indeed; but their images have spent decades being whitewashed and
sanitized to make them palatable to whites with fragile egos since then.
Insufficient time has passed for recent BLM-associated black martyrs to
have undergone the same processing as of yet.
Sorry that doesn't work.

If mainstream society rejects such 'images' you would say they were
racist.

if mainstream society accepts such 'images' they've been 'sanitized'.

In short there is NOTHING society at large can say or do that would be
acceptable in the eyes of folks with opinions like yours.

There were even some that said Winnie Mandela's "necklaces" should be
accepted by 'mainstream society' though those were a particularly
painful way to be murdered. Nope - not going there.
kensi
in here." ~Checkmate
Ubiquitous
2020-10-28 00:31:09 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by kensi
Post by The Horny Goat
You would definitely get varying definitions of martyrdom vs murder.
King was championing a cause. Martin was not.
And yet somehow I suspect that your objection to naming anything for
Trayvon Martin is not based on that. I think you've fallen into the
"respectability politics" trap ...
If you're SUGGESTING what it SOUNDS like you're suggesting then
logically I would reject naming things for King as well and you would
be wrong on that.
Please try not to encourage the trolls and their sockpuppets...
--
Democrats and the liberal media hate President Trump more than they
love this country.
RichA
2020-10-15 06:00:35 UTC
Post by RichA
Used to be at one time, street name were reserved (when they were named for people) for people who'd accomplished something positive.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/11/us/trayvon-martin-street-named-miami-trnd/index.html
Another aspect. How Zimmerman was portrayed as bad and WHITE (instead of Hispanic) in the media while Martin was portrayed as innocent.

https://www.presenttensejournal.org/volume-3/racist-visual-rhetoric-and-images-of-trayvon-martin/