Ob Veeus says hi
anim8rfsk
2021-06-11 03:56:55 UTC
And amongst a list of what he’s watched recently was this of potential
interest to Ian:

“ZERO CHILL: An Ian style teen romcom series about iceskaters. Pretty
good.”

Ian J. Ball
2021-06-11 05:08:28 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
And amongst a list of what he’s watched recently was this of potential
“ZERO CHILL: An Ian style teen romcom series about iceskaters. Pretty
good.”
Meh - British. I know who Sarah-Jane Potts is, but not anyone else.

And, at this point - I'm not picking up marginal new TV series: it has
to be something I *really* want to watch, or forget it! My list of
shows is getting way too long as it is...
anim8rfsk

anim8rfsk
2021-07-10 22:46:26 UTC
Ob Veeus Said it was OK to share our discussions about TV. Here’s what he
had to say about Robin’s list for this week:

Hey Anim8r,

Sure, you can post about shows I comment on. Maybe more people will like
KATLA…or be frustrated because it is another one of those spooky mystery
type shows that never really explains the mystery because it wants a shot
at a season 2. Some of the ending character decisions were very annoying,
but I still liked the ride.

Thanks for Robin’s list of offerings for next week. It looks like the
second half of the summer will be much better for TV offerings than the
first half. ANIMAL KINGDOM is back and I like that show. Sadly, it airs
in the same timeslot as KEVIN CAN F**K HIMSELF. I wish the networks would
make an effort to spread around their good programming instead of putting
it head to head. If you haven’t watched KEVIN CAN… you should give it a
try starting from episode #1. It is about 50% inane sitcom (lampooning
sitcoms) and 50% dark, brooding life sucks commentary.

MR INBETWEEN has a series finale this week. I will miss the show’s take on
simple life problems mixed with bad guy tasks.

GUNPOWDER MILKSHAKE…a must watch for the cast.

NEVER HAVE I EVER…I watched season #1 and thought it was ok, so I will
likely watch season #2 as well.

A third FEAR STREET film and I haven’t even watched the first one yet.

BTR1701
2021-07-11 07:38:59 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Ob Veeus Said it was OK to share our discussions about TV. Here’s what he
Hey Anim8r,
Sure, you can post about shows I comment on. Maybe more people will like
KATLA…or be frustrated because it is another one of those spooky mystery
type shows that never really explains the mystery because it wants a shot
at a season 2. Some of the ending character decisions were very annoying,
but I still liked the ride.
Thanks for Robin’s list of offerings for next week. It looks like the
second half of the summer will be much better for TV offerings than the
first half. ANIMAL KINGDOM is back and I like that show.
They were filming ANIMAL KINGDOM in my neighborhood this past week. They
changed the veterans hall to a bank, ripe for the robbing. Nice to have
craft services back on the block again...
trotsky
Holy fuck that's interesting.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-07-11 14:35:44 UTC
Who cares about craft services? What were the sexy actresses doing?
shawn
2021-07-12 02:42:26 UTC
On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 14:35:44 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by BTR1701
They were filming ANIMAL KINGDOM in my neighborhood this past week. They
changed the veterans hall to a bank, ripe for the robbing. Nice to have
craft services back on the block again...
Who cares about craft services? What were the sexy actresses doing?
Would he even notice? After all he lives in the area where you can
find a sexy actress (or wannabe) every 100 feet.
BTR1701
They killed off the real hottie on that show anyway.
anim8rfsk
2021-07-19 05:44:55 UTC
Re the week of July 17:

Selected programming for the week of July 17-23
7/18/2021 12:35 PM

Hey Anim8r,

Thanks for the list…and thank Robin for putting it together. Let Robin
know that I also hope the second season of HOTEL BEAU SEJOUR makes it to US
eyeballs. I’d be happy with Netflix or AmazonPrime as I have both. I’m
surprised that neither outlet has brought it to the US yet. I got the
impression that the first season was pretty popular on Netflix.

As for the upcoming week, SEXY BEASTS and TOO HOT TO HANDLE BRAZIL sound
just like those dating shows we were discussing a week or two ago. Netflix
is diving into more “reality TV” all the time.

The highlight for the week might be JOLT, for a fairly decent cast, though
the plot sounds like it will be threadbare. Same comments for THE LAST
LETTER FROM YOUR LOVER.

I will definitely be watching the second season of SKY ROJO. The whole
first season was ridiculous, but a decent watch.

…and then the Olympics start. I’ll probably watch some of that, too.

Over the last couple of days I watched season #2 of NEVER HAVE I EVER (the
story based upon Mindy Kaling’s teen years). Good show.

I also watched season 2 of THE MIRE. Good show with lots of reference back
to season #1 even though there is a considerable time gap (12 years)
between the two. You should tell Robin to check out THE MIRE as it seems
like something she might enjoy.

I also watched the first two FEAR STREET movies. Typical schlock horror
film where teens get killed by spooky supernatural bad guys. The first one
did star the girl from TRINKETS, which was a nice plus. The second one
featured Sadie Sink (STRANGER THINGS)…also a nice plus.

I have watched part of the GENERATION 56K season. A decent romcom tale so
far.

I watched GUNPOWDER MILKSHAKE. It was akin to the JOHN WICK films or
ATOMIC BLONDE (in terms of female super fighter/killers).

I watched OPHELIA. A decent spin on the Shakespeare tale starring THE LAST
JEDI.

Hope you are enjoying the summer,

Ob Veeus
BTR1701
2021-07-19 07:31:25 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
I also watched the first two FEAR STREET movies. Typical schlock horror
film where teens get killed by spooky supernatural bad guys. The first one
did star the girl from TRINKETS, which was a nice plus. The second one
featured Sadie Sink (STRANGER THINGS)…also a nice plus.
The lead girl in these FEAR STREET movies (I think the character's name is
Deena) bears a striking resemblance to a young Duckshoot. I watched these
movies just for her.
trotsky
Your version of gay conversion therapy? Mike Pence would be proud!!
anim8rfsk
2021-08-21 22:25:49 UTC
Selected programming for the week of August 14-20?
8/18/2021 11:17 PM

Hi Anim8r,

That storm they named after you seems to have been a dud. They should have
called it “Frankie” instead so that it would have channeled Netflix’s
“GRACE AND FRANKIE”. I guess because of Covid Netflix’s latest season was
only 4 episodes long…with the rest of the season supposedly coming next
year.
Wednesday, August 18
The Defeated [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
Black Island (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Out of My League (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
The Secret Diary of an Exchange Student (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Friday, August 20
Annette (movie) (12:01 am, Amazon Prime Video)
The Chair [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
Sweet Girl (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
The above 7 items will be added to my Netflix queue, hopefully. I say
“hopefully” because I got a message from Netflix that they are going to
disable the ability of users to order the queue entirely starting in
September. I’m guessing that the result will be them adding new items into
places/order where you cannot find them. In any case, thank you and Robin
for passing along the list.

Stuff I’ve watched recently:

FREE GUY - The movie about an in-game character who discovers that he is
not real. Good film with lots of Easter eggs crammed in right at the end.

MODERN LOVE – Amazon Prime anthology series. This season, each story got 1
episode rather than 2 and none of the stories was particularly good.

LOVE LIFE – an HBO Max series re-airing on TBS starring Anna Kendrick.
Each episode covers one of her relationships. Decent watch so far.

ZERO – A Netflix series about an animator who discovers that he has a super
power. This show is full of tropes (such as super powered guy is a hapless
dork and needs sidekick help to even figure out how to control his power).
However, it was a decent origin story and worth watching.

YIN YANG MASTER - A 2021 Chinese film based upon a video game. This one
had a good amount of high end (even if cheesy) CGI visuals and the plot
mostly made sense. It also had the usual kung fu flying fight scenes and
some directing that really prevented heightened suspense.

OKUPAS - A Netflix series about 4 losers who live in an abandoned
building. I’m about half way through the season and so far the story is
mediocre (they don’t seem to be using scripts).

BRAND NEW CHERRY FLAVOR - A Netflix horror series about a girl trying to
make it in Hollywood. Through the first 2 episodes, this is quite weird
and good.

DIRTY JOHN: The first season of the series. Revolving around a liar
duping a bunch of women and after watching it I’m still not sure that the
story shouldn’t have been about a family of women who murdered a guy who
disappointed them.

THE SWARM: horror film about locusts and small time farming. Fairly low
key, but a decent watch.

THE OPERATIVE and THE LOSERS and CONCRETE COWBOY – three films not worth
watching.

THE GREEN ZONE – a good film about the WMDs in Iraq.

THE NAKED DIRECTOR – finished up this series about the Japanese porn
industry. Reading afterwards, the show didn’t try to stick too closely to
the true story, but it was relatively entertaining.

Take care,

Ob Veeus
Ian J. Ball
2021-08-22 00:49:13 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Selected programming for the week of August 14-20?
8/18/2021 11:17 PM
Hi Anim8r,
That storm they named after you seems to have been a dud. They should have
called it “Frankie” instead so that it would have channeled Netflix’s
“GRACE AND FRANKIE”. I guess because of Covid Netflix’s latest season was
only 4 episodes long…with the rest of the season supposedly coming next
year.
Wednesday, August 18
The Defeated [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
Black Island (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Netflix is trying to get me to watch this as well.
Post by anim8rfsk
Out of My League (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
The Secret Diary of an Exchange Student (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
I've never even heard of this one!
Post by anim8rfsk
Friday, August 20
Annette (movie) (12:01 am, Amazon Prime Video)
The Chair [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
Sweet Girl (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
I will get to "Sweet Girl", maybe this weekend.
Post by anim8rfsk
The above 7 items will be added to my Netflix queue, hopefully. I say
“hopefully” because I got a message from Netflix that they are going to
disable the ability of users to order the queue entirely starting in
September. I’m guessing that the result will be them adding new items into
places/order where you cannot find them. In any case, thank you and Robin
for passing along the list.
BRAND NEW CHERRY FLAVOR - A Netflix horror series about a girl trying to
make it in Hollywood. Through the first 2 episodes, this is quite weird
and good.
The first show that we have in common.
Post by anim8rfsk
THE OPERATIVE and THE LOSERS and CONCRETE COWBOY – three films not worth
watching.
I don't know about the other two, but "The Losers" is definitely disappointing.
anim8rfsk
2021-08-28 09:09:56 UTC
Hi Anim8r,

Hope you have found some good TV offerings of late. I finished up BRAND
NEW CHERRY FLAVOR and enjoyed it for being different. I watched all of
season #1 of THE CHAIR starring Sandra Oh. It was good, but far too short
a season. I also watched an AmazonPrime film titled ANNETTE which was a
musical 2+ hour whinefest about how poorly stars are treated by the press
and the public. Not recommended.

Thank you (and Robin) for the weekly list of new stuff. It looks like a
‘Atlanta’: FX Shares Update On Season 3 & 4
https://deadline.com/2021/08/atlanta-fx-shares-update-on-season-3-4-1234814325/
No idea why this is being filmed in Paris, but I’m looking forward to the
next season (or two).
Wednesday, August 25
Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal & Greed (documentary) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Beyond the iconic hair, soothing voice and nostalgic paintings lies a
mystery that many have yet to discover.
If it turns out all those painting were fake I’m going to be disappointed.
This sounds about as plausible as a gritty documentary on The Cookie
Monster.
Clickbait [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
Adrian Grenier stars in a twisty, perspective-shifting, eight-episode
thriller as a father and husband who mysteriously disappears—
and then turns up in an ominous internet video in which his life appears
to be in jeopardy. Zoe Kazan and Betty Gabriel also star.
American-Australian production.
I will watch this.
Open Your Eyes [Otwórz oczy] [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
After a tragic accident, an amnesiac teen tries to rebuild her life at a
memory disorders center but becomes suspicious of
her unconventional treatment. Polish series; apparently six episodes.
I will sample this at some point.
Post Mortem: No One Dies in Skarnes [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
A woman declared dead suddenly awakes with an insatiable craving for
blood, which may prove beneficial to her family's failing funeral home. >
Norwegian series; six episodes.
I will also sample this at some point.
shawn
Because it's likely cooler in Paris than it is in Atlanta?
anim8rfsk
2021-08-28 17:08:31 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
Hi Anim8r,
Hope you have found some good TV offerings of late. I finished up BRAND
NEW CHERRY FLAVOR and enjoyed it for being different. I watched all of
season #1 of THE CHAIR starring Sandra Oh. It was good, but far too short
a season. I also watched an AmazonPrime film titled ANNETTE which was a
musical 2+ hour whinefest about how poorly stars are treated by the press
and the public. Not recommended.
Thank you (and Robin) for the weekly list of new stuff. It looks like a
‘Atlanta’: FX Shares Update On Season 3 & 4
https://deadline.com/2021/08/atlanta-fx-shares-update-on-season-3-4-1234814325/
No idea why this is being filmed in Paris, but I’m looking forward to the
next season (or two).
Because it's likely cooler in Paris than it is in Atlanta?
And Atlanta is full of peanut fumes.

But I’ve heard an ugly rumor that Paris is full of the French.

shawn
Shouldn't it also be full of the Fumes de Fries?
anim8rfsk
2021-08-29 00:24:30 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I have it on good authority that the whole place smells like Gérard
Depardieu

OK, just wow

I didn’t think there was a chance of spellcheck getting that name right so
I said it as dippity do

And this it got right

Dimensional Traveler
2021-08-29 02:54:51 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
That's actually scary. O_O
--
Troll, troll, troll your post gently down the thread
Angrily, angrily, angrily, the net's a nut's scream.
anim8rfsk
2021-08-29 05:49:06 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Do you know what I should try? Download the most recent posts here and then
take their iPhone off line while I compose my replies and see what happens
to auto correct. I can’t do that with Facebook or messenger which need to
be connected but I should be able to do it here.

When I first got the iMac Retina it asked me if I wanted to download a
couple gigabytes worth of files that would do spellcheck without having to
be connected to the inter-web. The iPhone never asked that. At least it
would tell me if there’s a real person making these bizarre judgments
somewhere.

Dimensional Traveler
2021-08-29 15:01:01 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
The idea that Apple has people assigned to spell-check their users in
real time is at least as scary.
shawn
2021-08-29 15:13:41 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
It's probably just for Fred and they've hired the old pharmacy girl to
handle his spell checking so they can stay close.
anim8rfsk
2021-08-29 16:37:23 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
LOL

It does the same thing to the Peach as well but may be pharmacy girl is
just jealous of her?

A Friend
2021-09-05 21:41:21 UTC
In article
From Ob Veeus
Kate (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
A criminal (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) finds out that she has been poisoned
and has just 24 hours to live‹so she uses her remaining day to hunt down
the people who poisoned her in Tokyo.
Sounds like D.O.A., a 1950 film starring Edmond O'Brien. Really good.

They remade it with Dennis Quaid in 1988. Really bad.
anim8rfsk
2021-09-06 00:03:10 UTC
Post by A Friend
In article
From Ob Veeus
Kate (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
A criminal (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) finds out that she has been poisoned
and has just 24 hours to live‹so she uses her remaining day to hunt down
the people who poisoned her in Tokyo.
Sounds like D.O.A., a 1950 film starring Edmond O'Brien. Really good.
They remade it with Dennis Quaid in 1988. Really bad.
That was the first thing I thought of too. I saw the 1998 film and then
hunted down the 1950 version.

Adam H. Kerman
2021-09-06 01:46:13 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by A Friend
In article
From Ob Veeus
Kate (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
A criminal (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) finds out that she has been poisoned
and has just 24 hours to live so she uses her remaining day to hunt down
the people who poisoned her in Tokyo.
Sounds like D.O.A., a 1950 film starring Edmond O'Brien. Really good.
They remade it with Dennis Quaid in 1988. Really bad.
That was the first thing I thought of too. I saw the 1998 film and then
hunted down the 1950 version.
No, you should have hunted down the writers and producers of the remake.

I always feel bad for Dennis Quaid whenever he's in a lousy movie. He's
such a likeable actor.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-09-06 01:45:13 UTC
Post by A Friend
From Ob Veeus
Kate (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
A criminal (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) finds out that she has been poisoned
and has just 24 hours to live so she uses her remaining day to hunt down
the people who poisoned her in Tokyo.
Sounds like D.O.A., a 1950 film starring Edmond O'Brien. Really good.
"Kate" is too generic a title. I cannot find Russell Rouse and Clarence
Greene's script credited. The movie's copyright wasn't renewed (although
I though unrenewed got covered in the 1998 amendments) but it's still
plagarism if you don't give credit.
I W/Q'ed it.
anim8rfsk
2021-09-11 22:20:51 UTC
Hello Anim8r,

Thanks again (to both you and to Robin) for the list. This week’s
offerings look very bleak, though. The only thing that really catches my
Sex Education (complete season 3) (3:01 am, Netflix)
The first 2 seasons have been good and I look forward to season #3.

Recently, I have been watching:

THE DEFEATED – I finished up season #1 and it was mediocre the whole way
through. Maybe it was written as anti-abortion propaganda? The whole
series never made sense with respect to the bad guy’s cult following.

I NEED ROMANCE – finished up the season of this Thai remake of a South
Korean rom-com series. It was ok, but none of the characters really seemed
worthy of adoration.

Q FORCE – I watched one episode of this LGBT anime series and that was more
than enough. Bleck.

REALLY LOVE – I watched about 20 minutes of this film before shutting it
off. Yet another African American story predicated on the idea that just
putting pretty African Americans onscreen is enough to get people to watch.

MONEY HEIST – I finished up the latest season. Great stuff (even if it is
schlock action) as always.

CINDERELLA - I watched this AmazonPrime film which recasts Cinderella as
an aspiring fashion designer, but kept the original setting. Lousy film
with way too much bad music.

BRIGHT STAR - I watched this Jane Champion film about John Keats. Very
surface deep tale with mediocre acting effort.

LUCIFER - The first couple of episodes of the latest season. Good stuff
as always even if the character arcs are not moving forward as yet.

Ob Veeus
anim8rfsk
2021-09-19 13:50:33 UTC
Hello Anim8r,

Thank you (and Robin) again for the weekly list of programming. I’ll
comment on some of it below after recounting what I’ve been watching.

This morning I saw an article on Jameela Jamil from THE GOOD PLACE. It
indicated that she was “queer”, but also that she has been in a
relationship with some guy for the last 6 years. I was curious as to what
“queer” meant for her so I looked at her IMDB page. Yikes! No real answer
to her gender identity claims, but her “medical issues” abound. She might
be a good nominee for craziest person in Hollywood.

This week I finished up the last season of LUCIFER. It had a decent final
arc and ending. I’m not sure I find their version of heaven satisfactory,
but when is it ever.

I watched BRAVE SERIES on Netflix. It is an odd little anime series that
pokes fun at the political/military agenda. It was somewhat disjointed and
certainly won’t find mainstream popularity, but it was still enjoyable.

I watched THE VOYEURS on AmazonPrime. This was a really bad film starring
a sickly looking Justice Smith and a bunch of people with no acting
ability. The premise here regarding watching neighbors through their
window was hokey and even though the film had a couple twists at the end
that made it slightly more than totally worthless I still wouldn’t
recommend it.

I watched KATE on Netflix. Mary Elizabeth Winestead did an above average
job in this far too often Hollywood film trope about a person who takes
down dozens of bad guys with street fighting and gun head shots.

I watched ON THE VERGE on Netflix. This series about a bunch of neurotic
women living messed up lives felt early on to be almost without script.
Everyone was just given a character description and then told to be
annoying. It got a bit better later on as there was some plot development,
but I was still left with the impression that all of these people are train
wrecks.

I started BLACKSPACE on Netflix. This is an Israeli series centered around
the police investigation of a school shooting. Very good so far.

I started the latest season of SEX EDUCATION on Netflix. Good as always
even if some of it is a bit campy.

As for the upcoming week of programming choices and the start to the Fall
tv season…
Monday, Sept. 20
The Big Leap [new] (9 pm, Fox)
Fox's first new fall series is a scripted dramedy about the contestants
of a semi-fictitious reality series that finds amateur ballet dancers
attempting to mount a live production of Swan Lake. (A reality show along
similar lines really did air in the UK.) Scott Foley heads a cast that
also includes Jon Rudnitsky, Teri Polo, and Piper Perabo.
[RM: I enjoyed Piper Perabo in Covert Affairs and wish she would be cast
in a show I wanted to watch.]
I like Piper Perabo, too. I guess that maybe makes this one worth
sampling.
Ordinary Joe [new] (10 pm, NBC)
The first of two new NBC shows debuting this fall is a variation on the
Sliding Doors formula, with James Wolk starring as a man at a crossroads.
You'll see not two but three different possible futures for him: one in
which he is a rock musician, one a nurse, and one a police officer.
Producer Matt Reeves (best known for directing films such as War for the
Planet of the Apes) has been trying to get the series made since 2006 (!)
and finally succeed this year, albeit for a different network (NBC rather
than ABC). Also stars
Natalie Martinez, Charlie Barnett, Elizabeth Lail, David Warshofsky and
Teddy Sears.

Might be worth sampling, though the limit of 3 storylines makes this sound
more like a THIS IS US style soap than a QUANTUM LEAP style anthology.
Tuesday, Sept. 21
Love on the Spectrum (complete season 2) (3:01 am, Netflix)
I enjoy ATYPICAL and SPECIAL and SEX EDUCATION and a few other scripted
shows which have Autistic characters, but I’ll pass on this documentary
style stuff.
Our Kind of People [new] (9 pm, Fox)
Inspired by the book of the same name by Lawrence Otis Graham, Fox's
latest primetime soap from producer Lee Daniels is centered in the upper
class, mostly Black Martha's Vineyard enclave of Oak Bluffs. The
adaptation comes from Karin Gist (Star, Grey's Anatomy) and stars Yaya
DaCosta, Morris Chestnut, Joe Morton, and Nadine Ellis.
Good to see that Yaya DaCosta is still finding work, but I have no interest
in this.
New Amsterdam (season 4 premiere) (10 pm, NBC)
Only if it was about an immortal New York City cop.
Wednesday, Sept. 22
Dear White People (complete final season 4) (3:01 am, Netflix)
The fourth and final season finds the Justin Simien-created series becoming a musical.
I enjoyed the first 3 seasons. I’m not sure what the “musical” reference
is, but I look forward to finding out.
Jaguar [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
In 1960s Spain, a Holocaust survivor joins a group of agents seeking
justice against the hundreds of Nazis who fled to the nation to hide
after WWII. Spanish series.
I might sample this one.
The Wonder Years [new; reboot] (8:30 pm, ABC)
I’ll have to sample this.
Alter Ego [new] (9 pm, Fox)
Fox's latest oddball reality series is described as the "world's first
avatar singing competition" and finds contestants performing not as
themselves but as virtual characters. The judging panel features Nick
Lachey, Grimes, will.i.am, and Alanis Morissette. Another new episode
airs Thursday at the same time.
I’ve seen a few Youtube videos where people used computer animation
software to “seamlessly” turn singers into avatar singing versions. Neat
technology, but I’m not much into singing competition shows.
Home Economics (season 2 premiere) (9:30 pm, ABC)
I watched season #1, but it is a mediocre show.
Friday, Sept. 24
Birds of Paradise (movie) (12:01 am, Amazon Prime Video)
Sarah Adina Smith (Buster's Mal Heart) directs a drama that follows an
aspiring American ballerina as she heads to Paris to attend a
prestigious—if a bit cutthroat—ballet school. The adaptation of A.K.
Small's novel Burning Bright Stars stars Diana Silvers, Jacqueline
Bisset, and Kristine Froseth.
Maybe
Blood & Water (season 2) (3:01 am, Netflix)
After crossing paths at a party, a Cape Town teen sets out to prove
whether a private-school swimming star is her sister who was abducted at
birth. South African series. Six episodes?
I watched season #1, but I don’t recall much of anything about it at the
moment.
Ganglands (Braqueurs) [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)
To protect his family from a powerful drug lord, skilled thief Mehdi and
his expert team of robbers are pulled into a violent and deadly turf war. French series.
Based upon the trailer, I will sample this.
The Great British Baking Show ("collection 9") (3:01 am, Netflix)
I will watch this as previous seasons have been relatively entertaining.
Midnight Mass [new; complete miniseries] (3:01 am, Netflix)
Zach Gilford and Hamish Linklater head the cast for the latest Netflix
thriller from Mike Flanagan (The Haunting of Hill House) that is set on
an island where the arrival of a mysterious young priest coincides with
some supernatural happenings. . All seven episodes stream today.
I will sample this.
The Starling (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Also releasing in a few theaters on September 17, this $20 million
Netflix acquisition stars Melissa McCarthy as a woman who turns to
gardening as a form of therapy after a shocking tragedy, only to be
thwarted by a bird who frequently attacks her. She then turns to a
veterinarian (Kevin Kline) for help dealing with the starling. Timothy
Olyphant and Chris O'Dowd also star. Don't expect another broad Melissa
McCarthy comedy; this one is actually far more drama than comedy, comes
from director Ted Melfi (Hidden Figures), and made its debut at a major
film festival (TIFF). Nevertheless, critics mostly hated it when it
actually screened in Toronto.
I might watch this since Timothy Olyphant is in it.

The Fall season has begun. I think that Netflix has spoiled me to not
watch much ad-backed TV, though.

Ob Veeus
Ian J. Ball
2021-09-19 15:06:49 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Hello Anim8r,
Thank you (and Robin) again for the weekly list of programming. I’ll
comment on some of it below after recounting what I’ve been watching.
I watched THE VOYEURS on AmazonPrime. This was a really bad film starring
a sickly looking Justice Smith and a bunch of people with no acting
ability. The premise here regarding watching neighbors through their
window was hokey and even though the film had a couple twists at the end
that made it slightly more than totally worthless I still wouldn’t
recommend it.
Oh, look, Obveeus is wrong again!! ;p
Post by anim8rfsk
Tuesday, Sept. 21
Our Kind of People [new] (9 pm, Fox)
Inspired by the book of the same name by Lawrence Otis Graham, Fox's
latest primetime soap from producer Lee Daniels is centered in the upper
class, mostly Black Martha's Vineyard enclave of Oak Bluffs. The
adaptation comes from Karin Gist (Star, Grey's Anatomy) and stars Yaya
DaCosta, Morris Chestnut, Joe Morton, and Nadine Ellis.
Good to see that Yaya DaCosta is still finding work, but I have no interest
in this.
'Cos he wants "Star" back!! ;p
Post by anim8rfsk
The Fall season has begun. I think that Netflix has spoiled me to not
watch much ad-backed TV, though.
Ob Veeus
He only seems to watch Netflix. Which is odd, as I think Netflix is
mostly terrible (esp. for TV series)...
BTR1701
2021-09-19 19:00:08 UTC
In article
This morning I saw an article on Jameela Jamil from THE GOOD PLACE. It
indicated that she was "queer", but also that she has been in a
relationship with some guy for the last 6 years. I was curious as to what
"queer" meant for her so I looked at her IMDB page. Yikes! No real answer
to her gender identity claims, but her "medical issues" abound. She might
be a good nominee for craziest person in Hollywood.
Jamil once responded to me on Twitter out of the blue in a thread about
film music, screeching that I must know what's really going on with
Trump and that I owe the world to reveal it.

I assumed it was just some fan of hers using her picture or something,
but it the account had a blue checkmark and it turns out it was really
her.

Much as I hate to agree with Obveeus about anything, he's right. She's a
24-carat nutbar.
Ubiquitous
2021-09-20 11:52:56 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Ordinary Joe [new] (10 pm, NBC)
The first of two new NBC shows debuting this fall is a variation on the
Sliding Doors formula, with James Wolk starring as a man at a crossroads.
You'll see not two but three different possible futures for him: one in
which he is a rock musician, one a nurse, and one a police officer.
Producer Matt Reeves (best known for directing films such as War for the
Planet of the Apes) has been trying to get the series made since 2006 (!)
and finally succeed this year, albeit for a different network (NBC rather
than ABC). Also stars
Natalie Martinez, Charlie Barnett, Elizabeth Lail, David Warshofsky and
Teddy Sears.
Might be worth sampling, though the limit of 3 storylines makes this sound
more like a THIS IS US style soap than a QUANTUM LEAP style anthology.
It reminded me of the paralell time bits on DARK SHADOWS.

Trump won.
anim8rfsk
2021-08-29 01:20:39 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by shawn
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Fry fumes are far too fragrant for the French frogs.
trotsky
Sounds like a scam, otherwise he'd spell it "Obveeus" as on the newsgroup.
anim8rfsk
2021-10-09 20:32:01 UTC
Hi Anim8r,

Thanks again to you and Robin for the weekly list. There are a few
excellent selections this week.
‘The Expanse’ Cast & Creators On The Show’s “Intense” Final Season;
Trailer & Premiere Date Revealed (Oct. 8)
I am very much looking forward to another season of this really good sci-fi
show.
‘That ’70s Show’ Spinoff ‘That ’90s Show’ With Kurtwood Smith & Debra Jo
Rupp Ordered By Netflix (Oct. 8)
Hmmm…I will sample this one, though I never did watch the final season or
so of the original as they brought in the cousin and lost the son and such.
‘Lost In Space’ Season 3: Netflix Reveals Premiere Date & First Look Photos (Oct. 7)
Looking forward to this as well.
‘Better Things’ To End With Season 5 On FX As Pamela Adlon Wraps Sam
Fox’s Story (For Now) (Oct. 6)
Every year I am Surprised when this gets renewed. I enjoy it, but it is
definitely a niche show.
William Shatner To Explore Final Frontier For Real On Jeff Bezos’ Blue
Origin Space Flight (Oct. 4)
I wonder if he knows that they don’t have working toilets on that ship? I
suppose, at this point in life, this might feel to Shatner like a perfectly
good way to die, but it seems like a big PR risk for everyone involved.
Tuesday, Oct. 12
Chucky [new; spinoff] (10 pm, Syfy/USA)
Simulcast on two networks, Chucky is a spinoff from the horror film
series about a murderous doll and, like all seven films, is written by
Don Mancini, who serves as showrunner in addition to directing tonight's
premiere. Jennifer Tilly, who starred in four of those films, returns as
Tiffany Valentine, while Chucky's voice is once again supplied by Brad Dourif.
This is premiering about 2 weeks early. October 25th is National Chucky
Day.
Wednesday, Oct. 13
Fever Dream [Distancia de rescate] (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
A young woman lies dying far from home. A boy sits beside her. She is not
his mother. He is not her child. Together, they tell a haunting story of
broken souls, an invisible threat, and the power and desperation of
family. Based on the internationally critically acclaimed novel by
Samanta Schweblin. Spanish-language film.
Weird looking horror film might be worth watching.
Thursday, Oct. 14
Another Life (complete season 2) (3:01 am, Netflix)
After a massive alien artifact lands on Earth, Niko Breckinridge [Katee
Sackhoff] leads an interstellar mission to track down its source and make
first contact. Season 1 was released in 2019.
I will be watching this.
Friday, Oct. 15
I Know What You Did Last Summer [new] (12:01 am, Amazon Prime Video)
A group of teenagers are targeted by a killer who seems to know what
happened a year ago after a car accident on their graduation night in
this series based on Lois Duncan's 1973 novel which also inspired the
1997 movie of the same name. The new adaptation comes from Sara Goodman
(Preacher), while Craig William Macneill (Lizzie, Channel Zero) directs
the opener. Four episodes stream today, followed by weekly installments
over the following four Fridays.
I will probably sample this one.
The Forgotten Battle [De slag om de Schelde] (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
November 1944. On the flooded isle of Walcheren, Zeeland, thousands of
Allied soldiers are battling the German army. Three young lives become
inextricably connected. A Dutch boy fighting for the Germans, an English
glider pilot and a girl from Zeeland connected to the resistance against
her will are forced to make crucial choices that impact both their own
freedom and the freedom of others. Dutch film.
The Four of Us [Du Sie Er & Wir] (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
After a four-week partner swap, two couples meet again in a remote beach
house and discover that everything has changed. Suddenly, their feelings
are put to the test, their life choices and expectations are reevaluated. German film.
I will watch both of these at some point.
Little Things (complete final season 4) (3:01 am, Netflix)
A cohabiting couple in their 20s navigate the ups and downs of work,
modern-day relationships and finding themselves in contemporary Mumbai. Indian series.
I have very much enjoyed the previous 3 seasons of this little gem. I
wasn’t expecting another season, but I am looking forward to it.
The Trip (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
A dysfunctional couple head to a remote cabin to reconnect, but each has
intentions to kill the other. Before they can carry out their plans,
unexpected visitors arrive and they faced with a greater danger. Norwegian film.
I have to watch this.
You (season 3) (3:01 am, Netflix)
A dangerously charming, intensely obsessive young man goes to extreme
measures to insert himself into the lives of those he is transfixed by.
Moved from Lifetime Channel after season one.
I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of this DEXTER-esque show and will watch this
season as well.

As for stuff I have watched recently…

MAID: This odd little Netflix show from Andie MacDowell and her daughter
Margaret Qualley was well worth watching. It deals with domestic violence
and mental illness and even after watching all of season #1 I cannot tell
if the writers are admitting that the victim is a big part of the problem.
Whatever they were going for, you have to watch knowing that the
protagonist makes bad choices almost every chance she gets.

HIT & RUN: I’m about half way through this Netflix show and there is a lot
of mystery and misdirection. Great lead cast, though, with the guy from
the excellent series FAUDA (and a few other actors from FAUDA as well as
from the Israeli version of THE BAKER AND THE BEAUTY).

THE CHESTNUT MAN: The first couple episodes of this Danish murder mystery.
It has been excellent so far. Definitely direct Robin towards this show.

THE STARLING: A film on Netflix which opens with dialog explaining that it
is hard to draw realistic birds. I think that opening dialog was largely
an apology for the CGI bird stuff throughout the film.

THE NOVEMBER MAN: 2014 Pierce Brosnan action film that was decent enough.

HE’S ALL THAT: The Netflix recreation of the film SHE’S ALL THAT complete
with an original cast member and a gender reversal of the character parts.
Not as bad as I expected, though the male lead (Tanner Buchannan from COBRA
KAI) is still a dud.

OATS STUDIOS: A series of short films on Netflix. I have only watched
RAKKA (Sigourney Weaver) and FIREBASE (A sci-fi version of the Vietnam
War), but both were good. Mostly, these vignettes are a way to fill time
if you don’t have a long time to watch something.

HALL PASS: A 2011 slacker comedy about guys getting a free pass for sex
with others from their wives. Pretty dumb.

DON’T BE A MENACE TO SOUTH CENTRAL WHILE DRINKING YOUR JUICE IN THE HOOD:
A 1996 Wayans brothers film that was so bad I turned it off after 15
minutes.

THE LEAP: The latest episode of this ballet ‘reality show’ scripted show.
We see some backstory on the evil female judge.

LA BREA: The latest episode of soap silliness pretending to be sci-fi. I
think I’m going to give up on this series.

Hope you are enjoying some fall weather and getting set up for Halloween
there in AZ. I saw on the weather channel recently that Phoenix was
painting neighborhood streets gray so that they would reflect more heat
than the regular blacktop. I guess I would prefer a gray street to one
that had been chip sealed.

Ob Veeus.
BTR1701
2021-10-10 02:38:58 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Hi Anim8r,
THE NOVEMBER MAN: 2014 Pierce Brosnan action film that was decent enough.
I just saw the title as The January Man, that stupid Kevin Kline movie
written by John Patrick Shanley who should have shredded this. He won an
Oscar for Moonstruck!
The November Man was a series of novels by Chicago newspaper columnist
Bill Granger. This was adapted from There Are No Spies (1987) and not
The November Man (1979) itself. For reasons I've never understood,
Pierce Brosnan bought adaptation rights to just the one novel. It was
supposed to go into production some time after Die Another Day, as he
needed something to do now that James Bond was out of production with
yet another bankruptcy at MGM. Brosnan couldn't get it produced and the
project languished for a number of years. I have no idea who holds
adaptation rights to the earlier novels.
There was supposed to be a fifth Bond script for Brosnan but I don't
think any of it was written. Obviously Brosnan couldn't do Casino Royale
as that required recasting.
Post by anim8rfsk
HALL PASS: A 2011 slacker comedy about guys getting a free pass for sex
with others from their wives. Pretty dumb.
I've seen it. This is an awful movie but somehow difficult to turn off.
It's got some non-erotic Nicky Whelan nudity in it. The movie was meant
to be a big break for her but she's unappealing. I'd mention Alexandra
Daddario but someone might be tempted to watch it.
I chastised Ian for this and now I'm going to have words with you:

Hi-Ho is always worth mentioning.

Always.

That is all.
anim8rfsk
2021-10-10 03:03:32 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Hi Anim8r,
Post by anim8rfsk
HALL PASS: A 2011 slacker comedy about guys getting a free pass for sex
with others from their wives. Pretty dumb.
I've seen it. This is an awful movie but somehow difficult to turn off.
It's got some non-erotic Nicky Whelan nudity in it. The movie was meant
to be a big break for her but she's unappealing. I'd mention Alexandra
Daddario but someone might be tempted to watch it.
Hi-Ho is always worth mentioning.
Always.
That is all.
I know!

I just added both hall pass and the Skwid in the whale to my watchlist.

Adam H. Kerman
I tried to save the two of you but you wouldn't listen.
anim8rfsk
2021-10-11 13:16:33 UTC
Hi Anim8r,

Yes, there is apparently a “National Chucky Day”:
https://nationaldaycalendar.com/chucky-the-notorious-killer-doll-day-october-25/

There is a day for almost anything. Today is National Kick Butt Day. This
Wednesday is National No Bra Day. Friday is National I Love Lucy Day.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-10-11 17:42:55 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Hi Anim8r,
https://nationaldaycalendar.com/chucky-the-notorious-killer-doll-day-october-25/
There is a day for almost anything. Today is National Kick Butt Day. This
Wednesday is National No Bra Day. Friday is National I Love Lucy Day.
I'm declaring every day Nekkidly Nude Day applicable to people I would
like to see nekkidly nude.
anim8rfsk
2021-10-30 22:13:09 UTC
Hi Anim8r,

Thanks to Robin and to you for this weekly update. There appear to be a
couple of good offerings this week.
Saturday, Oct. 30
Inspector Koo [new] (3:01 am, Netflix)
A reclusive ex-cop reenters the game as an insurance investigator,
searching for clues in crime scenes perfectly staged by a serial killer.
Korean series described as the Korean version of "Killing Eve"; 12 episodes.
I will sample this.
Wednesday, Nov. 3
The Harder They Fall (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Also playing in theaters (starting October 22), this debut film from
British director Jeymes Samuel is a "new-school" western with a top-notch
cast. The often comedic, fast-paced film (co-written by Boaz Yakin, Now
You See Me) follows an outlaw (Jonathan Majors) who enlists a posse to
track down and seek revenge against his nemesis (Idris Elba) when the
latter is released from prison. Delroy Lindo, Zazie Beetz, LaKeith
Stanfield, Regina King, Edi Gathegi, R.J. Cyler, and Damon Wayans Jr. also star.
I’ll watch this for Elba and Beetz, but it seems a bit like cultural
appropriation.
Thursday, Nov. 4
Head of the Class [new; reboot; complete season 1] (3:01 am, HBO Max)
Isabella Gomez (One Day at a Time) is the head of the cast for this reboot
of the high school sitcom that ran for five years on ABC in the late '80s
(and featured Howard Hesseman and then Billy Connolly in the lead role).
Set at a different school, the new series is produced by Bill Lawrence
(Ted Lasso, Scrubs) alongside American Vandal vets Amy Pocha and Seth
Cohen. Robin Givens guests as a grown-up version of Darlene Merriman, the
role she played in the original series and who is now the head of the PTA
at the school attended by her son. 10 episodes.

The preview clip makes this look nothing at all like HEAD OF THE CLASS. It
does look a lot like SAVED BY THE BELL. Aim it at Ian.
Friday, Nov. 5
The Electrical Life of Louis Wain (movie) (12:01 am, Amazon Prime Video)
Director Will Sharpe's portrait of the troubled, eccentric late 19th-and
early-20th-century artist Louis Wain (played by Benedict Cumberbatch)
also stars Claire Foy.
I’ll probably watch this.
Big Mouth (complete season 5) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Teenage friends find their lives upended by the wonders and horrors of
puberty in this edgy animated comedy from real-life pals Nick Kroll and Andrew Goldberg.
I will definitely be watching this as I have generally enjoyed the prior
seasons.
Love Hard (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
A romantic comedy about the lies we tell for love. An unlucky-in-love LA
girl (Nina Dobrev) falls for a rugged East Coast guy (Darren Barnet) on a
dating app and decides to surprise him for the holidays­-only to discover
that she’s been catfished by his childhood friend (Jimmy O. Yang).
I’ll probably watch this, though Dobrev has never impressed.
Narcos: Mexico (complete final season 3) (3:01 am, Netflix)
I enjoyed the first 2 seasons and the earlier series, so I will watch this.
The Unlikely Murderer [new; complete miniseries] (3:01 am, Netflix)
This series dramatizes how a man claiming to be a witness at the
assassination of Swedish prime minister Olof Palme may have gotten away
with murder. Five episodes; Swedish series.
I’ll sample this.

As for what I have been watching lately:

ARMY OF THIEVES: The prequel film to ARMY OF THE DEAD. This is mostly an
OCEANS ELEVEN style caper film with almost nothing to do with zombies. It
was a bit slow at times, but it was funny enough and smart enough to
recommend as worth watching. A few characters disappear and/or have
unresolved plots. I’d rather have had a sequel to this film than have ARMY
OF THE DEAD.

YOU: The latest season of this DEXTER style series on Netflix. The
brilliant serial killers never stop making numerous mistakes. Yet somehow
the story continues. Good season.

THE INNOCENT: The last of the COBEN series on Netflix. This one was a bit
less accessible that the other miniseries, but still mostly good. There
was a lot of exposition, including the entire 5th episode which explained
what the first 4 episodes showed us. If Robin (or you ) is interested in
watching any of these Harlan Coben miniseries based upon his novels, this
would not be the one I would start with.

CRUELLA: The Emma Stone led origin story for the Disney dog killer. This
was better than I expected.

GODZILLA VS. KONG: The 2021 entry, latest of the monster films. Like any
military arms race, there is always some fool that has to mess up the safe
balance in favor of trying to dominate. This film isn’t going to help
Millie Bobby Brown (STRANGER THINGS) career.

FAMILY BUSINESS: I finished up this French series about a family trying to
get into the drug business. Lots of silly, but it turned out ok. The main
guy was also in the ARMY OF THIEVES movie as an Interpol agent, so I guess
he can act/play both sides of the game.

THE FLINTSTONES: 1994 film starring John Goodman, Elizabeth Perkins, Rick
Moranis, Rosie O-Donnell, and an incredibly hot Halle Berry. Not a great
film, but it did play quite a good live action tribute to the old cartoon.
anim8rfsk
2021-11-21 16:53:39 UTC
Hi Anim8r,

Thanks to you and Robin for getting this list to me.
‘Ozark’: The Byrdes Return For Final Season In Teaser, First Look Images (Nov. 17)
Looking forward to this.
Netflix Cancels YA Skating Drama ‘Zero Chill’ After One Series (Nov. 17)
An Ian type of series. I’m surprised it didn’t find an audience.
‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’: First Look At Rachel Brosnahan, Tony
Shalhoub & Marin Hinkle In Season 4 (Nov. 15)
Looking forward to this.
Wednesday, Nov. 24
True Story [new; complete miniseries] (3:01 am, Netflix)
It may star Kevin Hart as a comedian, but True Story is neither a comedy
nor a true story. The seven-episode dramatic miniseries finds Hart
playing "Kid," whose tour stop in his hometown of Philadelphia turns into
a matter of life and death after an eventful evening on the town with his
Mexico) showrunner Eric Newman and also stars Tawny Newsome, Paul
Adelstein, Will Catlett, Chris Diamantopoulos, and Billy Zane.
I will sample this.
Hawkeye [new] (3:01 am, Disney+)
Hawkeye finds Jeremy Renner reprising the title role (which he has
played in half a dozen Marvel films) of Clint Barton. But he's not the
only one: Joining the MCU is Hailee Steinfeld as a young fan who trains
with Barton to become the next Hawkeye. The series comes from Jonathan
Igla, who is new to the MCU but has written and produced for shows
ranging from Mad Men to Bridgerton, and the cast also includes Vera
Farmiga, Florence Pugh, Linda Cardellini, and newcomer Alaqua Cox, whose
character (Maya Lopez/Echo) is being considered for a spinoff. Two
episodes stream today, followed by single episodes on each of the
following four Wednesdays.
Maybe someday, but not now since I don’t have Disney+
Friday, Nov. 26
A Castle for Christmas (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Famed author Sophie Brown (Brooke Shields) travels to Scotland hoping to
buy a small castle of her own, but the prickly owner, Myles, the Duke of
Dunbar (Cary Elwes), is reluctant to sell to a foreigner. Working to find
a compromise, the pair constantly butt heads, but they just may find
something more than they were expecting.
I might watch this just for the 2 stars, though it would have been more
interesting if it was a sand castle sequel to BLUE LAGOON set 50 years
later.

Looks like a very light week for new TV options dominated by way too much
Chirstmas drivel. Luckily, I still have lots of backlog. Over the last
week I watched:

MY NAME: Finally got around to a few episodes of this series about a girl
who becomes a mob mole for the police. Good crime mystery show so far.

INSPECTOR KOO: Caught up with the episodes of this KILLING EVE knockoff.
Entertaining.

THE UNLIKELY MURDERER: A mini-series about the assassination of the
Belgian leader a few decades ago. This show made the case for one
particular suspect, but it wasn’t particularly convincing. It does seem to
indicate that the police were amazingly inept, though…assuming they weren’t
in on it in some way.

THE WHEEL OF TIME: The first 3 episodes of this AmazonPrime fantasy
series. So far, the show has introduced a ton of backstory/lore for this
world…and the sets so far indicate that this new world is mostly in ruins.
OK so far.

ALL IS BRIGHT: A Paul Giamatti and Paul Rudd Christmas story about tree
salesman. Living tiny paycheck to tiny paycheck, these two idiots can’t
get out of their own way. Worth watching for the characters.

GRUDGE: A 2021 Turkish miniseries about some criminal out to expose past
police misdeeds. Entertaining, but maybe one twist too much to the story.

NIGHT BOOKS: A pre-teen level retelling of Handsel and Gretel starring
Krysten Ritter. Not good.

THE BIG LEAP: The show is better with Piper Peraboo’s character as the
focus rather than the obese woman who gets everything handed to her but is
still written as the underdog.

FIRE WITH FIRE: A 2012 film starring Josh Duhamel, Rosario Dawson, and
Bruce Willis. This was standard revenge flick fodder as a distraught
firefighter fights back against the bad mob boss (Vincent D’Onofrio who is
the best part of the film).

46 YOK OLAN: The first few episodes of this Turkish series that seems to
be a Dr. Jeckyl Mr. Hyde type show. Some expensive sets and camera work,
but very rough editing and writing.

TICK TOCK…BOOM: A 2021 musical telling of Johnathan Larson’s life starring
Andrew Garfield. This was the film that listed Bradley Witford as a
prominent role, but he really has only a few moments of screentime, as do
Judith Light, Vanessa Hudgens, and Bebe Neuwirth, Phylicia Rashad,
Bernadette Peters, Chita Rivera and others looking to get a renewal on
their SAG cards for insurance purposes, I guess. The biggest problem with
this musical is that the lyrics for the songs are awkward and inaccessible.

Ob Veeus
Ian J. Ball
2021-11-21 17:56:16 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Looks like a very light week for new TV options dominated by way too much
Chirstmas drivel. Luckily, I still have lots of backlog. Over the last
THE WHEEL OF TIME: The first 3 episodes of this AmazonPrime fantasy
series. So far, the show has introduced a ton of backstory/lore for this
world…and the sets so far indicate that this new world is mostly in ruins.
OK so far.
Will get to this at some point...
Post by anim8rfsk
NIGHT BOOKS: A pre-teen level retelling of Handsel and Gretel starring
Krysten Ritter. Not good.
Disappointing. But not surpising.
Post by anim8rfsk
THE BIG LEAP: The show is better with Piper Peraboo’s character as the
focus rather than the obese woman who gets everything handed to her but is
still written as the underdog.
Well, don't tell him that this show is pretty much certainly dead!

FWIW, I heard some good things about it on Reddit, but this show was
too low priority for me to fit it in.
Post by anim8rfsk
FIRE WITH FIRE: A 2012 film starring Josh Duhamel, Rosario Dawson, and
Bruce Willis. This was standard revenge flick fodder as a distraught
firefighter fights back against the bad mob boss (Vincent D’Onofrio who is
the best part of the film).
OK, now this sounds promising!!
anim8rfsk
2021-12-04 03:45:17 UTC
Hello Anim8r,

Thanks to Robin and to you for the list.
Big News: ‘Reacher’ TV Series Starring Alan Ritchson Gets Premiere Date, Trailer (Dec. 2)
https://deadline.com/2021/12/reacher-premiere-date-trailer-alan-ritchson-amazon-prime-video-1234883655/
I know that people were very unhappy with the pint sized Tom Cruise
casting, but this guy looks like a cartoon character. At some point,
Hollywood is going to have to start steroid testing the way pro sports do.
‘Money Heist’ Spinoff ‘Berlin’ Set At Netflix (Nov. 30)
https://deadline.com/2021/11/money-heist-spinoff-berlin-netflix-1234882487/
I guess this is a good thing, but there were so many characters in that
show I’d rather see again. BTW, the lead character from MONEY HEIST is
now in WHEEL OF TIME, so I get to see him in that. I’d still rather see
Tokyo or Nairobi than either of these guys.
Most Popular Netflix Movies & TV Series, Ranked By Total Viewing Time (Nov. 30)
https://deadline.com/feature/most-popular-watched-netflix-movies-tv-series-ever-list-1234876500/
I’ve seen everything on both of the lists. I’m not sure how accurate those
lists are, though. When Netflix puts out the weekly Top10s now, there are
often a number of shows that US viewers don’t even have access to, such as
JUMANJI and VENOM recently.
‘Kevin Can F**k Himself’ To End With Season 2 On AMC (Nov. 30)
https://deadline.com/2021/11/kevin-can-fk-himself-season-2-end-amc-1234882299/
2 season shows are going to be a norm for AMC now? Sheesh, that doesn’t
bode well for their long term future as a network and streaming service.
Monday, Dec. 6
Our Beloved Summer [new] (3:01 am, Netflix)
Years after filming a viral documentary in high school, two bickering
ex-lovers get pulled back in front of the camera ­ and into each other's
lives. Korean series.
I might sample this.
The Big Leap (season 1 finale) (9 pm, Fox)
I will watch this, though my interest was blunted due to the previous
episode.
Tuesday, Dec. 7
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: "The Facts of Life" and "Diff'rent
Strokes" (special) (8 to 9:30 pm, ABC)
ABC's latest live production of two classic sitcom episodes stars John
Lithgow (as Mr. Drummond), Kevin Hart (as Arnold), Damon Wayans (as
Willis), and Ann Dowd (as Mrs. Garrett) in a reenactment of Diff'rent
Strokes. The latter will reprise her role in the Facts of Life episode,
joined by Jennifer Aniston (as Blair), Kathryn Hahn (as Jo), Gabrielle
Union (as Tootie), and Allison Tolman (as Natalie).
WTF?!?!?!
Thursday, Dec. 9
Anne Boleyn [new to US] (3:01 am, AMC+)
Anne Boleyn (Jodie Turner-Smith) explores life from the eponymous
Queen’s perspective, as she struggles to secure a future for her daughter
and to challenge the powerful patriarchy closing in around her. Three
episodes released weekly.
I would sample this if I had access.
Friday, Dec. 10
Encounter (movie) (12:01 am, Amazon Prime Video)
A father (Riz Ahmed) embarks on a dangerous mission to save his two sons
from an alien threat in an Amazon sci-fi thriller that will also play in
theaters beginning December 3rd.
I will probably watch this.
The Expanse (final season 6 premiere) (12:01 am, Amazon Prime Video)
The show's final season will stream weekly on Fridays through January 14th.
I will definitely watch this as it is the best sci-fi “TV” has to offer.
How to Ruin Christmas (complete season 2) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Prodigal daughter Tumi tries to make things right after completely
ruining what should have been her sister's picture-perfect Christmas
wedding. South African series.
I watched season #1 of this with a lead character that is a total F-up and
makes everyone’s lives harder as a result. It wasn’t great, but it was ok
I guess.
Still Out of My League [Ancora più bello] (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Italian rom-com.
I watched the earlier film, OUT OF MY LEAGUE, so I will watch this.
Two [Dos] (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)
Two strangers, a man and a woman, wake up naked and with their abdomens
attached to each other. Spanish film.
Abdomens rather than nose to tail like with CENTIPEDE. Looks really bad.

I will watch this.

Over the last week I watched:

46 YOK OLAN: A Dr. Jekyl / Mr. Hyde type TV series from Turkey. There was
some real mustache twisting campiness in this one along with a lot of plot
twist. Some moments were groan-worthy, but some of it was pretty good.
You should give it a try.

LOST IN SPACE: The final season of this show that is mostly about family
schmaltz. This final season was the worst yet. Tons of plot holes and
half the time was spent with dialog revolving around how the family has to
stick together. My favorite moment, though, was when they launched off of
a planet and had to dodge asteroid debris in orbit…so much debris that
there never would have been any sunlight on the planet.

TRUE STORY: Kevin Hart and Wesley Snipes star as brothers in this
miniseries that ended up being very entertaining.

BORDERTOWN: THE MURAL MURDERS: A followup movie to a 3 season Finland TV
show. I liked the series. This followup film had lots of problems,
though. It felt like they chopped up a miniseries into one film…lots of
awkward transitions.

A CASTLE FOR CHRISTMAS: Brooke Shields and Cary Elwes star in this
geriatric romcom. Apparently, her character writes romance novels…a dozen
of them all with the same one guy and gal. The rest of the plot made just
as much sense.

A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT: Brad Pitt in his younger years. This is supposed
to be a really good film, but it was boring and pointless…and according to
wiki much of it was half-truths at best.

AMERICAN REUNION: The last entry in the original AMERICAN PIE film series.
Pretty much like the rest.
suzeeq
2021-12-04 06:33:23 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Hello Anim8r,
Thanks to Robin and to you for the list.
Big News: ‘Reacher’ TV Series Starring Alan Ritchson Gets Premiere Date, Trailer (Dec. 2)
https://deadline.com/2021/12/reacher-premiere-date-trailer-alan-ritchson-amazon-prime-video-1234883655/
I know that people were very unhappy with the pint sized Tom Cruise
casting, but this guy looks like a cartoon character. At some point,
Hollywood is going to have to start steroid testing the way pro sports do.
But at least this guy is approximately the same size as Reacher in the
books.
anim8rfsk
2021-12-04 06:43:42 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Hello Anim8r,
Thanks to Robin and to you for the list.
Big News: ‘Reacher’ TV Series Starring Alan Ritchson Gets Premiere
Date, Trailer (Dec. 2)
https://deadline.com/2021/12/reacher-premiere-date-trailer-alan-ritchson-amazon-prime-video-1234883655/
I know that people were very unhappy with the pint sized Tom Cruise
casting, but this guy looks like a cartoon character. At some point,
Hollywood is going to have to start steroid testing the way pro sports do.
But at least this guy is approximately the same size as Reacher in the
books.
They should’ve left Tom Cruise in place but cast everybody else in the
movie with dwarves.
Ubiquitous
2021-12-04 09:29:20 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Big News: ‘Reacher’ TV Series Starring Alan Ritchson Gets Premiere
Date, Trailer (Dec. 2)
https://deadline.com/2021/12/reacher-premiere-date-trailer-alan-ritchson-amazon-prime-video-1234883655/
I know that people were very unhappy with the pint sized Tom Cruise
casting, but this guy looks like a cartoon character. At some point,
Hollywood is going to have to start steroid testing the way pro sports do.
But at least this guy is approximately the same size as Reacher in the
books.
They should’ve left Tom Cruise in place but cast everybody else in the
movie with dwarves.
Isn't that what they do?
(Or hire actors specializing in working in trenches?)

--
Let's go Brandon!

Ubiquitous
2021-12-04 09:27:40 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Tuesday, Dec. 7
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: "The Facts of Life" and "Diff'rent
Strokes" (special) (8 to 9:30 pm, ABC)
ABC's latest live production of two classic sitcom episodes stars John
Lithgow (as Mr. Drummond), Kevin Hart (as Arnold), Damon Wayans (as
Willis), and Ann Dowd (as Mrs. Garrett) in a reenactment of Diff'rent
Strokes. The latter will reprise her role in the Facts of Life episode,
joined by Jennifer Aniston (as Blair), Kathryn Hahn (as Jo), Gabrielle
Union (as Tootie), and Allison Tolman (as Natalie).
WTF?!?!?!
Aren't these people a bit old to be playing these parts?

Let's go Brandon!
trotsky
2021-10-10 08:36:18 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Hi Anim8r,
Post by anim8rfsk
HALL PASS: A 2011 slacker comedy about guys getting a free pass for sex
with others from their wives. Pretty dumb.
I've seen it. This is an awful movie but somehow difficult to turn off.
It's got some non-erotic Nicky Whelan nudity in it. The movie was meant
to be a big break for her but she's unappealing. I'd mention Alexandra
Daddario but someone might be tempted to watch it.
I chastised Ian for this
How many times did you spank his bare bottom out of curiosity?