[OT] Karma for a car thief
Rhino
2023-12-06 16:19:45 UTC
A man who stole a car in Kitchener met an unfortunate fate after the
car ran out of gas in Hamilton.

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/12/06/alleged-car-thief-from-kitchener-killed-in-hamilton-after-running-out-of-gas/

I don't suppose this will discourage future car thieves from stealing
cars but a guy can dream can't he....
Rhino
anim8rfsk
2023-12-06 19:59:34 UTC
Post by Rhino
A man who stole a car in Kitchener met an unfortunate fate after the
car ran out of gas in Hamilton.
By “unfortunate“ I think you meant “fitting and well-deserved“
Post by Rhino
https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/12/06/alleged-car-thief-from-kitchener-killed-in-hamilton-after-running-out-of-gas/
I don't suppose this will discourage future car thieves from stealing
cars but a guy can dream can't he....
I’m amazed they still have to call him an “alleged“ car thief, even after
he’s dead.
Rhino
Rhino
A Friend
2023-12-08 04:02:02 UTC
In article
Post by Rhino
A man who stole a car in Kitchener met an unfortunate fate after the
car ran out of gas in Hamilton.
By ³unfortunate³ I think you meant ³fitting and well-deserved³
Post by Rhino
https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/12/06/alleged-car-thief-from-kitchener-ki
lled-in-hamilton-after-running-out-of-gas/
I don't suppose this will discourage future car thieves from stealing
cars but a guy can dream can't he....
I¹m amazed they still have to call him an ³alleged³ car thief, even after
he¹s dead.
They don't. They can say he stole the car. They can always say that
the police said he stole the car.
Ubiquitous
2023-12-08 09:30:42 UTC
Post by Rhino
A man who stole a car in Kitchener met an unfortunate fate after the
car ran out of gas in Hamilton.
https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/12/06/alleged-car-thief-from-kitchener-killed-in-hamilton-after-running-out-of-gas/
I don't suppose this will discourage future car thieves from stealing
cars but a guy can dream can't he....
My fav will always be the carjacker in Georgia (Atlanta?) who was
ejected from his car on an interstate and into the oncoming lanes
of traffic.

Thump-thump!

Thump-thump!

Thump-thump!

Let's go Brandon!
Rhino
2023-12-08 19:00:10 UTC
On Fri, 08 Dec 2023 04:30:42 -0500
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
A man who stole a car in Kitchener met an unfortunate fate after the
car ran out of gas in Hamilton.
https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/12/06/alleged-car-thief-from-kitchener-killed-in-hamilton-after-running-out-of-gas/
I don't suppose this will discourage future car thieves from stealing
cars but a guy can dream can't he....
My fav will always be the carjacker in Georgia (Atlanta?) who was
ejected from his car on an interstate and into the oncoming lanes
of traffic.
Thump-thump!
Thump-thump!
Thump-thump!
Karma in Georgia to go along with karma in Ontario :-)
Rhino
The Horny Goat
2023-12-09 19:12:48 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
A man who stole a car in Kitchener met an unfortunate fate after the
car ran out of gas in Hamilton.
https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/12/06/alleged-car-thief-from-kitchener-killed-in-hamilton-after-running-out-of-gas/
I don't suppose this will discourage future car thieves from stealing
cars but a guy can dream can't he....
My fav will always be the carjacker in Georgia (Atlanta?) who was
ejected from his car on an interstate and into the oncoming lanes
of traffic.
Thump-thump!
Thump-thump!
Thump-thump!
Karma in Georgia to go along with karma in Ontario :-)
If he stole the car in Kitchener and was apprehended in Hamilton
that's a fairly long drive.

Did I ever mention that back in Burlington in 1982 I once crossed the
QEW (between Guelph Line and Brant Street which it sounds like you
know where that would be) >ON FOOT< ???

(For those unfamiliar that's an 8 lane divided highway built into a
trough running through a mid-sized city)

To be fair - it was on a Saturday, I climbed down the embankment,
waited 15+ minutes for a gap in the traffic big enough to allow me to
cross in perfect safety and up the other embankment. Given the gap in
traffic I waited for I probably could have crawled across. My reason
for doing so was that it was a hot summer day and I had an old map
showing the intercity bus station being on the North side of the
highway whereas passers by marked on my map the new location on the
South side about 2 blocks away across the highway - as opposed to
about 3 miles had I walked to the nearest flyover. For what it's worth
the train has been extended in the 40 years since then and the old bus
station is the new GO station (train) now.

I'm aware traffic is much heavier now and those who have heard the
story think I was taking my life in my hands - I wasn't - it was a
beautiful summer day and I was content to 'work on my tan' rather than
make a 3 mile detour!

(Ironically I met my Burlington-native late wife about a year after
that and the S station is about 3-4 blocks from her parents' home
where her mother still lives)
Rhino
2023-12-14 15:35:45 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Rhino
[...]
I suppose I'm less patient - or risk-averse - because I would not
have waited for that big a gap in traffic. I'm a chronic jay-walker and
I've found that you normally don't have to wait nearly that long, even
on a very busy road. Mind you, that is more true on a busy city street
than a major highway like the QEW with its very heavy traffic. Of
course you are correct that traffic was considerably less in those days
when the population of the country was probably half (or less) what it
is today.
Post by The Horny Goat
(Ironically I met my Burlington-native late wife about a year after
that and the S station is about 3-4 blocks from her parents' home
where her mother still lives)
My mother told me that she and my dad crossed the QEW on foot once in
that area (near a golf course in Oakville if I remember correctly).
They had to get to the post office which turned out to be on the south
side of the QEW. They got across without incident but that was some
time in the mid- to late 1950s when traffic was even less than when you
did it.
Rhino
The Horny Goat
2023-12-15 01:25:07 UTC
On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:35:45 -0500, Rhino
Post by Rhino
I suppose I'm less patient - or risk-averse - because I would not
have waited for that big a gap in traffic. I'm a chronic jay-walker and
I've found that you normally don't have to wait nearly that long, even
on a very busy road. Mind you, that is more true on a busy city street
than a major highway like the QEW with its very heavy traffic. Of
course you are correct that traffic was considerably less in those days
when the population of the country was probably half (or less) what it
is today.
Justin Trudeau is definitely hell bent on doubling the population with
less than half of it being native born. I've got 3 kids so I've done
my share replenishing the next generation though his policy of
facilitating home purchase by non-resident "investors" doesn't bode
well for the 30-somethings who SHOULD be able to buy homes now but
can't. I do think encouraging single family homes as investments
either domestic or foreign is obscene.
Post by Rhino
Post by The Horny Goat
(Ironically I met my Burlington-native late wife about a year after
that and the S station is about 3-4 blocks from her parents' home
where her mother still lives)
My mother told me that she and my dad crossed the QEW on foot once in
that area (near a golf course in Oakville if I remember correctly).
Several with the best known being Glen Abbey which used to advertise
for years itself as the home of the Canadian Open. They're quite close
to the QEW so is impossible to miss if you are driving from Toronto to
Hamilton.
Rhino
2023-12-15 02:19:18 UTC
Post by Rhino
[...]
Among the problems he's contributed to is that apparently almost 2
million of the new Canadians are Muslims, who are famous/notorious for
having very large families. Given the low birth rate among almost all
other groups, this is bound to be a Muslim country in due course. We
likely won't live to see it but your children and grandchildren will.

Letting foreigners buy up our property as investments is NOT a good
idea either. PEI has the right idea; as I understand it, they don't
even allow non-Islanders to buy property there. We should imitate that
on a national level.
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by Rhino
Post by The Horny Goat
(Ironically I met my Burlington-native late wife about a year after
that and the S station is about 3-4 blocks from her parents' home
where her mother still lives)
My mother told me that she and my dad crossed the QEW on foot once in
that area (near a golf course in Oakville if I remember correctly).
Several with the best known being Glen Abbey which used to advertise
for years itself as the home of the Canadian Open. They're quite close
to the QEW so is impossible to miss if you are driving from Toronto to
Hamilton.
She couldn't remember the name of the golf course when she told me the
story but I suppose it might have been Glen Abbey.
Rhino
Adam H. Kerman
2023-12-13 16:53:20 UTC
Here's one in Chicago:

Cops: Driver of stolen car fatally struck by semitruck while running
from police in Austin
By Sam Charles
Chicago Tribune
Published: Dec 12, 2023 at 7:38 pm
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-fatal-chase-crash-20231213-3ubvsirbnvamvlq6ki3of7mgl4-story.html

Turn off javascript to read.

Cops spotted the stolen vehicle. The driver was getting out, saw police,
then ran into the street. He was struck and killed by a semi.
The semi did not stop. I don't know if the driver fled the scene or
was unaware of the collision.
Rhino
2023-12-14 15:53:29 UTC
On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 16:53:20 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Cops: Driver of stolen car fatally struck by semitruck while running
from police in Austin
By Sam Charles
Chicago Tribune
Published: Dec 12, 2023 at 7:38 pm
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-fatal-chase-crash-20231213-3ubvsirbnvamvlq6ki3of7mgl4-story.html
Turn off javascript to read.
Cops spotted the stolen vehicle. The driver was getting out, saw
police, then ran into the street. He was struck and killed by a semi.
The semi did not stop. I don't know if the driver fled the scene or
was unaware of the collision.
It really depends on where the thief made contact with the truck. If
the truck nailed him head-on, I don't see how the driver could fail to
notice but if the thief ran into the side of the trailer, I'd be very
surprised if he *did* notice unless he caught the movement out of the
corner of his eye and then looked in his mirrors at the exact right
moment. It's almost always noisy inside a vehicle like that even if the
driver isn't listening to his two-way radio or music simply because of
the road noise and engine noise.

Of course the driver may clue in afterwards if he finds a large dent -
or human remains - when he does his next circle check. (Drivers are
required to do circle checks at least daily to be sure their vehicles
are in good order.) If he then hears a radio report of a car thief
being hit by a semi that didn't stop, he may put two and two together.

In any case, I hope the police would not charge him with failing to
remain at the scene (or whatever the equivalent is where he had the
collision) unless they can show that he ought to have noticed the
collision because it was somewhere very visible to the driver.
--
Rhino