"Designated Survivor" in talks with Netflix
David
2018-05-15 22:36:13 UTC
http://deadline.com/2018/05/designated-survivor-netflix-eyes-thriller-drama-season-3-abc-cancellation-1202391739/

‘Designated Survivor’: Netflix Eyes Thriller Drama Series After ABC
Cancellation
by Nellie Andreeva

We reported earlier today about Designated Survivor producer eOne
shopping the Kiefer Sutherland-starring drama to other networks
following its cancellation by ABC. I hear that eOne is in talks with
streaming giant Netflix about picking up the political thriller.

Sources stress that the talks are still preliminary and complex as
Netflix rival Hulu has U.S. SVOD rights to the first two seasons of
Designated Survivor, which aired on ABC. Netflix has the series
internationally (outside of the U.S. and Canada), which makes it a
suitable home pending untangling U.S. streaming rights and crunching
the numbers.

I also hear that the series’ creative team is excited about exploring
what a premium version of Designated Survivor would be.
EGK
2018-05-15 22:48:44 UTC
Post by David
[...]
With shows like The Expanse and Lucifer cancelled, it's nuts anyone would
want to pick this dog of a show up instead.
Ian J. Ball
2018-05-15 23:03:31 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by David
[...]
That's just what I was about to say - this is *NOT* the way to get me
to keep a Netflix susbscription. In fact, it would tend to do the
*opposite*.
Obveeus
2018-05-16 02:23:13 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by David
[...]
1 out of the 1,000 original series offered by year's end would choke you
out?
Robin Miller
2018-05-16 00:20:29 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by David
[...]
I like DS. I enjoy the characters; it's the writing that's been
downright boring half the time.

DS being picked up by another outlet would not affect the chances of
Lucifer and The Expanse also being saved. I hope they are. Each case,
I'm sure, is different.

--Robin
David
It helps that "Designated Survivor" is a Netflix original in the rest of the world.
Robin Miller
2018-05-16 02:28:06 UTC
Post by David
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
With shows like The Expanse and Lucifer cancelled, it's nuts anyone would
want to pick this dog of a show up instead.
I like DS. I enjoy the characters; it's the writing that's been
downright boring half the time.
DS being picked up by another outlet would not affect the chances of
Lucifer and The Expanse also being saved. I hope they are. Each case,
I'm sure, is different.
It helps that "Designated Survivor" is a Netflix original in the rest of the world.
That's interesting. I didn't know that.

--Robin
Obveeus
2018-05-16 02:31:30 UTC
Post by David
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
With shows like The Expanse and Lucifer cancelled, it's nuts anyone would
want to pick this dog of a show up instead.
I like DS. I enjoy the characters; it's the writing that's been
downright boring half the time.
DS being picked up by another outlet would not affect the chances of
Lucifer and The Expanse also being saved. I hope they are. Each case,
I'm sure, is different.
It helps that "Designated Survivor" is a Netflix original in the rest of the world.
So the incremental cost is almost nothing?

I'd understand this more if DESIGNATED SURVIVOR had a big following, but
it barely draws more audience that LUCIFER.

Side note: USA Today's 'save our show' poll this year (only broadcast
shows):
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/05/02/save-our-shows-2018-fans-pick-timeless-again-tvs-most-wanted-endangered-series/564945002/

DESIGNATED SURVIVOR was second only to TIMELESS.
AP BIO was only chosen by 9%...coming in even below LAST MAN ON EARTH.

Also, the shows people most wanted to see end:
LIVING BIBLICALLY 34%
KEVIN CAN WAIT: 33%
iZOMBIE: 32%
LAST MAN ON EARTH: 32%
LUCIFER: 29%

I'm not really sure why those particular shows drew so much hate.
Maybe the religion factor for LUCIFER and LIVING BIBLICALLY.

Separately, the two streaming shows people most wanted to see die:
FULLER HOUSE and IRON FIST.
EGK
2018-05-16 01:12:46 UTC
On Tue, 15 May 2018 20:20:29 -0400, Robin Miller
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
Post by David
[...]
I liked it when it started but it become obviously quite quickly that the
writing was lacking. Like a lot of shows, no one thought passed the initial
premise. Even the hunt for the bombers turned out to be lame and like you
say, the show is downright boring now.
Post by Robin Miller
DS being picked up by another outlet would not affect the chances of
Lucifer and The Expanse also being saved. I hope they are. Each case,
I'm sure, is different.
We really don't know what affects picking up other shows. I'd even rather
see The Brave picked up than this turkey though.
Rhino
2018-06-12 19:33:05 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Post by Robin Miller
DS being picked up by another outlet would not affect the chances of
Lucifer and The Expanse also being saved. I hope they are. Each case,
I'm sure, is different.
We really don't know what affects picking up other shows. I'd even rather
see The Brave picked up than this turkey though.
I found The Brave quite watchable and would happily have seen more
episodes. I dropped Designated Survivor after a dozen episodes and
haven't even thought about looking at it again.
Rhino
BTR1701
2018-05-16 03:25:30 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
Post by David
[...]
I would also hope that being free of the constraints of broadcast TV,
the scripts would take on a more adult theme.
moviePig
2018-05-16 14:04:52 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
Post by David
[...]
Not sure what you mean by adult-themed, but afaics DS is vigorously
dumbing-down for its demo -- well shy of 'broadcast-TV edginess'.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
tenworld
2018-06-12 16:58:04 UTC
Post by moviePig
Not sure what you mean by adult-themed, but afaics DS is vigorously
dumbing-down for its demo -- well shy of 'broadcast-TV edginess'.
I liked this show but one minute it was Kiefer channeling Martin Sheen & West Wing
and the next it was Jack Bauer out-yelling and outsmarting someone. And of
course like many 'action' shows today they spent too much time on who is going
to match up with who.
EGK
2018-06-12 18:03:56 UTC
Post by tenworld
Post by moviePig
Not sure what you mean by adult-themed, but afaics DS is vigorously
dumbing-down for its demo -- well shy of 'broadcast-TV edginess'.
I liked this show but one minute it was Kiefer channeling Martin Sheen & West Wing
and the next it was Jack Bauer out-yelling and outsmarting someone. And of
course like many 'action' shows today they spent too much time on who is going
to match up with who.
I'd rather Netflix picked up Lucifer but as i've said before, i won't
begrudge fans of DS if it gets picked up. I won't be watching another
season of it regardless.
Rhino
2018-06-12 19:38:03 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
Post by David
[...]
How exactly did the constraints of broadcast TV hold back Designated
Survivor? Would cursing and sex scenes have made the show markedly
better? I didn't have a problem with an absence of those things; I just
found it badly written and not very plausible. The premise was okay and
they could have made it all a good bit more plausible but, for whatever
reason, they didn't.

Mind you, given the choice, I'd far rather watch an episode of almost
any (scripted) cable drama than the lacklustre rubbish that most
broadcast shows are.
Rhino
BTR1701
2018-06-13 01:09:30 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
The violence wouldn't have to be so cartoonish and sanitized, for one
thing. Compare this show with something like HOMELAND or HOUSE OF CARDS
and there's a world of difference in the sophistication of the
production.

And with Italia Ricci leading the cast, yes, some nude scenes would be
very welcome.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-06-13 01:17:18 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
Her sex scenes would be preferred to her dialogue scenes.

I'm not getting Rhino's question that sex scenes don't tend to
improve television.
anim8rfsk
2018-06-13 01:38:29 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
Well, suppose the show were Roseanne?
--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/
Adam H. Kerman
2018-06-13 01:42:43 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
In the original series, there was an episode in which Roseanne lent a
lot of money to a friend, who used it to buy new tits. John Goodman was
having a lot of fun with the situation but the photograph wasn't shown
to the audience.
Dimensional Traveler
instinct are running screaming.
Jim G.
2018-06-13 23:44:35 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by BTR1701
How exactly did the constraints of broadcast TV hold back DESIGNATED
SURVIVOR? Would cursing and sex scenes have made the show markedly
better?
The violence wouldn't have to be so cartoonish and sanitized, for one
thing. Compare this show with something like HOMELAND or HOUSE OF CARDS
and there's a world of difference in the sophistication of the
production.
And with Italia Ricci leading the cast, yes, some nude scenes would be
very welcome.
Her sex scenes would be preferred to her dialogue scenes.
I'm not getting Rhino's question that sex scenes don't tend to
improve television.
Well, suppose the show were Roseanne?
Why do you hate us so much?
"Oh, my god. That's tragic. It's like a Hallmark movie. But with
tentacles." -- Dean Winchester, SUPERNATURAL
anim8rfsk
2018-06-14 00:57:14 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by BTR1701
How exactly did the constraints of broadcast TV hold back DESIGNATED
SURVIVOR? Would cursing and sex scenes have made the show markedly
better?
The violence wouldn't have to be so cartoonish and sanitized, for one
thing. Compare this show with something like HOMELAND or HOUSE OF CARDS
and there's a world of difference in the sophistication of the
production.
And with Italia Ricci leading the cast, yes, some nude scenes would be
very welcome.
Her sex scenes would be preferred to her dialogue scenes.
I'm not getting Rhino's question that sex scenes don't tend to
improve television.
Well, suppose the show were Roseanne?
Why do you hate us so much?
I hate some of you more than others.
Jim G.
2018-06-14 18:19:49 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Her sex scenes would be preferred to her dialogue scenes.
I'm not getting Rhino's question that sex scenes don't tend to
improve television.
Well, suppose the show were Roseanne?
Why do you hate us so much?
I hate some of you more than others.
It always comes back to Ian, doesn't it?
anim8rfsk
2018-06-14 20:08:03 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Her sex scenes would be preferred to her dialogue scenes.
I'm not getting Rhino's question that sex scenes don't tend to
improve television.
Well, suppose the show were Roseanne?
Why do you hate us so much?
I hate some of you more than others.
It always comes back to Ian, doesn't it?
The ball is in his court.
Jim G.
2018-06-15 03:49:58 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Her sex scenes would be preferred to her dialogue scenes.
I'm not getting Rhino's question that sex scenes don't tend to
improve television.
Well, suppose the show were Roseanne?
Why do you hate us so much?
I hate some of you more than others.
It always comes back to Ian, doesn't it?
The ball is in his court.
And he has a reputation to preserve.
anim8rfsk
2018-06-13 01:37:40 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
The nude scenes in early HOMELAND were optimal before they bait and
switched us.
Lauren
2018-05-16 04:23:25 UTC
Post by David
Sources stress that the talks are still preliminary and complex as
Netflix rival Hulu has U.S. SVOD rights to the first two seasons of
Designated Survivor, which aired on ABC. Netflix has the series
internationally (outside of the U.S. and Canada), which makes it a
suitable home pending untangling U.S. streaming rights and crunching the
numbers.
Only stupid kooklywood could come up with such stupid idiocy! GEEEZ!

If you want to air internationally, then find ONE PLACE that can do it
all! DUH!