OT: National Dolphin Day
Add Reply
David Dalton
2024-04-14 00:13:00 UTC
April 14 is National Dolphin Day.
--
David Dalton ***@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“Mary walks down to the water’s edge and there she hangs Her head to
find herself faded a shadow of what she once was" (Sarah McLachlan)
cheesetray
2024-04-14 05:27:30 UTC
big fish ?
David Dalton
2024-04-14 17:23:42 UTC
Post by cheesetray
big fish ?
No, dolphins are mammals, not fish.
Christian Weisgerber
2024-04-14 19:31:07 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Post by cheesetray
big fish ?
No, dolphins are mammals, not fish.
And yet, mammals are more closely related to many fish than those
are to other fish.
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
W.Dockery
2024-09-10 18:06:55 UTC
Exactly.
Your Name
2024-09-10 20:41:55 UTC
Post by W.Dockery
Post by David Dalton
Post by cheesetray
big fish ?
No, dolphins are mammals, not fish.
Exactly.
Dolphins eat fish, so maybe that comment was meant to be about giving
dophins a special big fish dinner to celebrate their "National Dolphin
Day". ;-)
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2024-09-10 20:46:42 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by W.Dockery
Post by David Dalton
Post by cheesetray
big fish ?
No, dolphins are mammals, not fish.
Exactly.
Dolphins eat fish, so maybe that comment was meant to be about giving
dophins a special big fish dinner to celebrate their "National Dolphin
Day". ;-)
Dolphin is also a common name various actual fishes.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
Your Name
Not really. There are the "dolphin" (mammals) and the "dolphinfish" (fish).
The Horny Goat
2024-09-11 04:17:06 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Dolphin is also a common name various actual fishes.
Not really. There are the "dolphin" (mammals) and the "dolphinfish" (fish).
As someone whose father and grandfather were in the commercial fishing
business I knew the former but have never (until now) heard the term
"dolphinfish" though knew there were fish called dolphins.

THOSE fish are definitely not the same as Flipper!
Your Name
2024-09-11 05:11:52 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by Your Name
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Dolphin is also a common name various actual fishes.
Not really. There are the "dolphin" (mammals) and the "dolphinfish" (fish).
As someone whose father and grandfather were in the commercial fishing
business I knew the former but have never (until now) heard the term
"dolphinfish" though knew there were fish called dolphins.
THOSE fish are definitely not the same as Flipper!
"Dolphinfish" is the correct name. Some people put a space in it,
"dolphin fish" and some people drop "fish" entirely. There are also
other names it is called (lots more if you include the non-English
ones).
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-fish/species-profiles/coryphaena-hippurus/
Ubiquitous
2024-09-11 08:30:54 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Your Name
Post by W.Dockery
Post by David Dalton
Post by cheesetray
big fish ?
No, dolphins are mammals, not fish.
Exactly.
Dolphins eat fish, so maybe that comment was meant to be about giving
dophins a special big fish dinner to celebrate their "National Dolphin
Day". ;-)
Dolphin is also a common name various actual fishes.
Not really. There are the "dolphin" (mammals) and the "dolphinfish" (fish).
Do you mean "dauphin"?

Let's go Brandon!
W.Dockery
I'll need to Google that.
Jay E. Morris
https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/animals-a-to-z/dolphinfish
anim8rfsk
2024-09-11 20:17:47 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by W.Dockery
Post by Your Name
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Your Name
Post by W.Dockery
Post by David Dalton
Post by cheesetray
big fish ?
No, dolphins are mammals, not fish.
Exactly.
Dolphins eat fish, so maybe that comment was meant to be about giving
dophins a special big fish dinner to celebrate their "National Dolphin
Day".  ;-)
Dolphin is also a common name various actual fishes.
Not really. There are the "dolphin" (mammals) and the "dolphinfish" (fish).
I'll need to Google that.
https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/animals-a-to-z/dolphinfish
“Most beautiful”?!?

Did they misspell “Fugly”?
Scott Dorsey
2024-09-12 16:21:16 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/animals-a-to-z/dolphinfish
=93Most beautiful=94?!?
Apparently, some people really really like them.
You should try one. They are so delicious, even if you don't normally like
fish.
--scott
anim8rfsk
2024-09-12 17:55:02 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Jay E. Morris
https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/animals-a-to-z/dolphinfish
=93Most beautiful=94?!?
Apparently, some people really really like them.
You should try one. They are so delicious, even if you don't normally like
fish.
--scott
I like mahi-mahi which some people confuse with dolphinfish.
Your Name
2024-09-12 20:45:53 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Jay E. Morris
https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/animals-a-to-z/dolphinfish
=93Most beautiful=94?!?
Apparently, some people really really like them.
You should try one. They are so delicious, even if you don't normally like
fish.
--scott
I like mahi-mahi which some people confuse with dolphinfish.
The mahi-mahi *is* a dolphinfish, or more precisely it is the "common
dolphinfish" (Coryphaena hippurus). It is also known as the "dorado"
and "bull dolphin", among many other names.

The second type of dolphinfish is the "pompano dolphinfish" (Coryphaena
equiselis).
Scott Dorsey
2024-09-12 23:55:17 UTC
Post by Your Name
The mahi-mahi *is* a dolphinfish, or more precisely it is the "common
dolphinfish" (Coryphaena hippurus). It is also known as the "dorado"
and "bull dolphin", among many other names.
The second type of dolphinfish is the "pompano dolphinfish" (Coryphaena
equiselis).
Both of these are very delicious fish, but C. equiselis is better pan-fried
while C. hippurus will pan-fry well enough but is amazing grilled.
--scott
Paul S Person
2024-09-12 15:46:02 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by W.Dockery
Post by Your Name
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Your Name
Post by W.Dockery
Post by David Dalton
Post by cheesetray
big fish ?
No, dolphins are mammals, not fish.
Exactly.
Dolphins eat fish, so maybe that comment was meant to be about giving
dophins a special big fish dinner to celebrate their "National Dolphin
Day".  ;-)
Dolphin is also a common name various actual fishes.
Not really. There are the "dolphin" (mammals) and the "dolphinfish" (fish).
I'll need to Google that.
https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/animals-a-to-z/dolphinfish
“Most beautiful”?!?
Apparently, some people really really like them.

Me, I just see a large fish that does sort-of resemble a (small)
whale.
Did they misspell “Fugly”?
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"
%
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/sAZViOUafhQ/m/HrW-5gNPAgAJ
?
Trump is a homosexual.
Paul S Person
2024-09-12 15:51:06 UTC
Post by %
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by W.Dockery
Post by Your Name
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Your Name
Post by W.Dockery
Post by David Dalton
Post by cheesetray
big fish ?
No, dolphins are mammals, not fish.
Exactly.
Dolphins eat fish, so maybe that comment was meant to be about giving
dophins a special big fish dinner to celebrate their "National Dolphin
Day".  ;-)
Dolphin is also a common name various actual fishes.
Not really. There are the "dolphin" (mammals) and the "dolphinfish" (fish).
I'll need to Google that.
https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/animals-a-to-z/dolphinfish
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/sAZViOUafhQ/m/HrW-5gNPAgAJ
The person you attempted to slam appears to be supporting the fact
that dolphins are mammals, not fish.

Well, unless I counted the ">" wrong.
Scott Dorsey
2024-09-11 12:50:15 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Your Name
Post by W.Dockery
Post by David Dalton
Post by cheesetray
big fish ?
No, dolphins are mammals, not fish.
Exactly.
Dolphins eat fish, so maybe that comment was meant to be about giving
dophins a special big fish dinner to celebrate their "National Dolphin
Day". ;-)
Dolphin is also a common name various actual fishes.
Mahimahi is delicious but does not get its own special day. Although I
would support such a day by eating grilled fish if it was proposed.
--scott
General-Zod
2024-04-14 19:48:32 UTC
Post by David Dalton